Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Compressor Grenaded Internally

On 4/16/2018 2:29 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
I haven't taken it apart to see exactly what the problem is, but its
four years old.Â* A full year out of warranty.

An hour or so ago it started making an awful racket.Â* It sounded
suspiciously like it threw a rod.Â* I shut it down along with all the
machines dependent on it.

Diagnostic step one.Â* I looked at the oil sight glass, and it showed
just below center.Â* Figuring to see how much of its guts poured out I
cut the top off a soda can to catch the oil and pulled the plug. Nothing
came out.

As one of our members would say... Blink!!!Â* Blink!!!

I looked at the sight glass again.Â* The oil level looked the same.Â* I
stuck an air nozzle in the drain hole (turned off the compressor, but
left the valve open) and blew thinking maybe it was plugged.Â* A very
little oil came out and several chunks of metal.

I check the sight glass almost every day when I start up the air for the
shop.Â* It never changed.Â* I wonder how long it was running with
virtually no oil.

Well, I'm off to buy a new pump for it.Â* I can't run without air.

I finally got the new pump installed. Had to make a mounting plate,
then drill and tap for the new pump, then chase down the fittings, and
finally take the check valve out 4 times to try and repair it. Finally
I did the stupid easy o-ring repair. I know it won't last, but it
should last until I get a new check valve atleast. The plunger on the
check valve looks like PEEK. Kind of overkill for only 155 PSI.