Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Adjustable Reamers

I was sitting here thinking about a tricky mold build. Well tricky for
me anyway. The solution is to cut the mold, assemble it, turn the
outside round, and drop it into a sleeve a few thousandths bigger to
allow for venting, but limit flashing. I am pleased as punch about
figuring out the solution to the problem, but that's not the only
problem. I'm looking at target diameters of .997 and 1" respectively.

I don't own a reamer that big. No big deal. I could buy one and it
would get here long before the job comes up on the board. I just didn't
want to spend the money for one I would use one time in one hole and
never use it again. They aren't cheap. Sure I pay that much for a
fancy mill from time to time, but I get a lot of hours out of it, before
it goes in the recycle pot.

Yeah, I suppose I could bore it on the lathe, but the sleeve has to be
machined into a rectanguloid box. I also need to be pretty close on my
tolerance. If I have deeper grooves inside it could flash, and if I get
it to small it could seize or just not vent well. It would be kind of a
pain to setup.

I'll probably 3D machine the sleeve half in each of two pieces to around
0.990 and then assemble and ream to size.

Than I thought... hmmm maybe I can borrow one from my dad. He has some
old adjustable reamers. Maybe he has one that will cover the 1" range.
He has a set and he offered to just give them to me. I asked him how
much he paid for them and offered to pay for them since I will use it in
my business. Yeah, you can give me some money if you want, but I only
paid $25 for them. Never used the larger ones.

Nice. Two problems solved today. And even the solution to the solution.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Apr 2018 19:05:05 -0700, Bob La Londe
wrote:

[...]

IIRC I have some adjustable reamers down in the shop that I picked up
at a yard sale preobably 25 years ago for a couple bucks. I think
perhaps they were for king pin bushhings. Seems to me they were make
and model specific but right now I'm too lazy to put my shoes on to go
look!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/6/2018 7:05 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I used an adjustable reamer up my coal chute a while back.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
... Than I thought... hmmm maybe I can borrow one from my dad. He
has some old adjustable reamers. Maybe he has one that will cover
the 1" range. He has a set and he offered to just give them to me. I
asked him how much he paid for them and offered to pay for them since
I will use it in my business. Yeah, you can give me some money if
you want, but I only paid $25 for them. Never used the larger ones.

Nice. Two problems solved today. And even the solution to the
solution.

I suggest you try the reamer on scrap first. Perhaps my second-hand
ones aren't sharp enough or I don't know how to use them, but they
tend to chatter.

This may help both of us:
http://www.toolfab.com/assets/downlo...grind-tips.pdf

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 4/7/2018 3:53 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
... Than I thought... hmmm maybe I can borrow one from my dad. He
has some old adjustable reamers. Maybe he has one that will cover
the 1" range. He has a set and he offered to just give them to me. I
asked him how much he paid for them and offered to pay for them since
I will use it in my business. Yeah, you can give me some money if
you want, but I only paid $25 for them. Never used the larger ones.

Nice. Two problems solved today. And even the solution to the
solution.

I suggest you try the reamer on scrap first. Perhaps my second-hand
ones aren't sharp enough or I don't know how to use them, but they
tend to chatter.

This may help both of us:
http://www.toolfab.com/assets/downlo...grind-tips.pdf

-jsw

Actually they may not be any good to me anyway. This is going to be a
blind hole, and from what I understand adjustable reamers have a very
long taper. That just won't work.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote in message
news
[...]

You are sending me email replies from a dead address.

"Actually they may not be any good to me anyway. This is going to be
a blind hole, and from what I understand adjustable reamers have a
very long taper. That just won't work."

http://imajeenyus.com/workshop/20150...er/index.shtml

I made a D reamer that opened up the shackle bolt holes in hardened
truck springs, after several failed attempts to temper it hard enough
to cut without chipping, since I was drilling freehand under the
neighbor's kid's truck. I smeared on Ivory soap to protect the
machined surfaces in the fire. Grinding the flat to sharpen it removed
the temper color so I can't tell you what it was.

I've made others unhardened ones to cut aluminum, for example a
tapered air nozzle. It doesn't seem to matter if the flat isn't
exactly on a diameter, at least when using it on the lathe.

You could grind back relief behind the cutting bevel if it doesn't cut
freely enough.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

'Hope it works. For future reference, if you don't need to remove much
metal, an expanding internal lap with emery cloth will do it.

The best expanding internal laps have a long-taper hole and a tapered
madrel inside of the, threaded on the end and edjusted with a nut.
I've made them out of brass with a steel mandrel.

There are several ways to get emery cloth to stay in place on the
outside of the lap, but I finally settled on just glueing them on in a
spiral. They will tear a bit as you open up the lap, but it doesn't
seem to matter much. I used Duco cement and just washed it off with
acetone.

I've come to like adjustable laps for several types of jobs. Sometimes
I even use lapping powder with them, but I usually try to finagle
wet/dry or emery cloth to do the job.

It's crude, but it can really make a precisely-sized hole.

--
Ed Huntress

Adjustable Bed Mattress Find a Sale on Adjustable Bed Mattresses [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 23rd 08 02:56 AM
Are there any adjustable reamers under 1/4" ? Bruno Metalworking 4 December 19th 05 12:39 AM
instructions for adjustable reamers Grant Erwin Metalworking 7 August 17th 05 03:58 AM
reamers sw Metalworking 9 January 20th 04 02:09 AM
ball nose reamers Ryan Metalworking 6 October 18th 03 06:14 AM