Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Spot welders?

--Hi gang. I'm looking to get my hands on a spot welder. 220v single phase power available and hope to get something I can put on a pestal (I'll make one) and use to tack stuff together, probably no more than 1/16" thick but ya never know. I understand that a decent machine has variable current and variable time control and that would seem to be the minimum requirement beyond enough power to get the job done. Recommendations welcome.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ed - there was a thread on this group a year or two ago about the trouble
a fellow was having with aluminum on one of Miller's small spot welders.
You might find that if you can find an historical source. Google maybe?

Hul

--Hi gang. I'm looking to get my hands on a spot welder. 220v single phase power available and hope to get something I can put on a pestal (I'll make one) and use to tack stuff together, probably no more than 1/16" thick but ya never know. I understand that a decent machine has variable current and variable time control and that would seem to be the minimum requirement beyond enough power to get the job done. Recommendations welcome.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 15 Dec 2017 13:18:10 -0800 (PST), SteamboatEd Haas
wrote:

--Hi gang. I'm looking to get my hands on a spot welder. 220v single phase power available and hope to get something I can put on a pestal (I'll make one) and use to tack stuff together, probably no more than 1/16" thick but ya never know. I understand that a decent machine has variable current and variable time control and that would seem to be the minimum requirement beyond enough power to get the job done. Recommendations welcome.

Ebay.

Next would be Craigslist

third would be a machinery dealer.

The big question is..and you will need to figure it out..is how many
amps do you need for your projects..both now and later?

The Harbor Freight spot welders will do 1/16" weldments easily.

They certainly wont do much more than that however....ever.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...g-application/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-SP...Y/270675536704
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peer-spot-welders/232282238536

https://www.harborfreight.com/240-vo...der-61206.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7oNf4bF0E

Oh...and remember...stainless steel rating is about 1/2 of mild steel
for spot welding...IE..you will need 100% more to spot weld SS than
you need for mild steel.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 9:58:30 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ebay.

--Yah that's where I'm looking.

Next would be Craigslist

--Been there, done that; no joy.

third would be a machinery dealer.

--Hmmm will take a look; sorta forgot they were out there!

The big question is..and you will need to figure it out..is how many
amps do you need for your projects..both now and later?
The Harbor Freight spot welders will do 1/16" weldments easily.

--Went there yesterday and had a look at their 110 and 220 machines: real POS that I wouldn't want in my shop. Changing electrodes is a real pain, no spring return on activation lever, poorly protected wiring etc. And yes some day I'd like the option of doing stuff up to maybe 1/8 or 3/16" thick.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...g-application/

--Cool site; thanks for that!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-SP...Y/270675536704
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peer-spot-welders/232282238536

https://www.harborfreight.com/240-vo...der-61206.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7oNf4bF0E

Oh...and remember...stainless steel rating is about 1/2 of mild steel
for spot welding...IE..you will need 100% more to spot weld SS than
you need for mild steel.

--How odd; it's the reverse for TIG welding..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks for all the input gang! As it turns out I found a Miller on the Nextdoor network, less than 10 miles from my digs. It's 220v and has the Miller stand with the foot pedal. I got an extra pair of arms including one for getting inside deep stuff. All I had to do to get it working in my shop was change the plug to a proper twist lock type. Happy happy!

water cooled scrs from big industrial spot welders [email protected] Metalworking 0 July 28th 17 04:51 AM
Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp Hot Spot PA5X140 Spot Monitor Wild_Bill Electronics Repair 2 February 21st 13 12:09 AM
spot welders jack3140 Metalworking 0 January 17th 09 12:04 AM
spot welders for ni cad battery rebuilds. nick moore Electronics Repair 7 February 26th 05 06:31 PM
Welders - supplier? Mark S. UK diy 15 December 7th 03 08:43 PM