Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteamboatEd Haas SteamboatEd Haas is offline

Default Spot welders?

On Friday, December 15, 2017 at 9:58:30 PM UTC-8, Gunner Asch wrote:

Ebay.

--Yah that's where I'm looking.

Next would be Craigslist

--Been there, done that; no joy.

third would be a machinery dealer.

--Hmmm will take a look; sorta forgot they were out there!

The big question is..and you will need to figure it out..is how many
amps do you need for your projects..both now and later?
The Harbor Freight spot welders will do 1/16" weldments easily.

--Went there yesterday and had a look at their 110 and 220 machines: real POS that I wouldn't want in my shop. Changing electrodes is a real pain, no spring return on activation lever, poorly protected wiring etc. And yes some day I'd like the option of doing stuff up to maybe 1/8 or 3/16" thick.

https://www.twi-global.com/technical...g-application/

--Cool site; thanks for that!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-SP...Y/270675536704
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Peer-spot-welders/232282238536

https://www.harborfreight.com/240-vo...der-61206.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk7oNf4bF0E

Oh...and remember...stainless steel rating is about 1/2 of mild steel
for spot welding...IE..you will need 100% more to spot weld SS than
you need for mild steel.

--How odd; it's the reverse for TIG welding..