Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HF float chargers

Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?
Thanks,
CP

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 05-Oct-17 3:13 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?

One on each...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:2017100513130795332-email@domaincom...
Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?
Thanks,
CP

This HF #99857 1.5A Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer's output was
cold without a battery connected, a good safety feature if the clips
short. When connected to a small, recently charged AGM it went to
14.4V at around 1.5A, then as the battery quickly came up the output
dropped to 13.35V at around 100mA, which agrees with the notes I wrote
on it after buying it. AFAIK that will top off an unused battery and
then keep in good condition without bubbling away the water.

I couldn't find a good place to mount it in the truck with the AC plug
accessible but protected from road salt spray so I brought out a fused
battery lead to an Anderson that fits through or tucks into a smaller
hole, and ran an external charger every few weeks. Thus I have no
further experience with it.

14.4V may not be enough to break through the sulfation in a neglected
battery, and this unit won't tell you when it's doing nothing useful.
That's my objection to commercial trickle and automatic chargers; they
give up too easily on older batteries that I can revive with my
adjustable chargers. However the setting that brings "dead" batteries
back would dry them out and ruin them if left on too long, so I can
see why such chargers aren't sold to a general public unaccustomed to
minding their experiments.

-jsw

Noisy new float valve in loft Jeremy Collins UK diy 9 January 4th 16 04:28 PM
Float Chargers Jack Home Repair 18 September 14th 11 04:15 PM
Problem With Float Charger For Sump-Pump Batteries? BroJack Home Repair 5 December 25th 04 12:18 AM
APC Smart-UPS ... battery float voltage adjustment? Jordan Hazen Electronics Repair 6 December 10th 04 10:12 PM
Scary Sharp, What is Float Glass, and where can one get some. DANIEL HENEGHAN Woodworking 18 April 30th 04 05:33 PM