DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   HF float chargers (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/597792-hf-float-chargers.html)

MOP CAP[_2_] October 5th 17 09:13 PM

HF float chargers

Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?
Thanks,
CP

dpb October 5th 17 11:19 PM

HF float chargers

On 05-Oct-17 3:13 PM, MOP CAP wrote:
Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?

One on each...

--

Jim Wilkins[_2_] October 6th 17 01:13 AM

HF float chargers

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
Any negatives on the HF float chrgers?
Thanks,
CP

This HF #99857 1.5A Onboard Battery Charger/Maintainer's output was
cold without a battery connected, a good safety feature if the clips
short. When connected to a small, recently charged AGM it went to
14.4V at around 1.5A, then as the battery quickly came up the output
dropped to 13.35V at around 100mA, which agrees with the notes I wrote
on it after buying it. AFAIK that will top off an unused battery and
then keep in good condition without bubbling away the water.

I couldn't find a good place to mount it in the truck with the AC plug
accessible but protected from road salt spray so I brought out a fused
battery lead to an Anderson that fits through or tucks into a smaller
hole, and ran an external charger every few weeks. Thus I have no
further experience with it.

14.4V may not be enough to break through the sulfation in a neglected
battery, and this unit won't tell you when it's doing nothing useful.
That's my objection to commercial trickle and automatic chargers; they
give up too easily on older batteries that I can revive with my
adjustable chargers. However the setting that brings "dead" batteries
back would dry them out and ruin them if left on too long, so I can
see why such chargers aren't sold to a general public unaccustomed to
minding their experiments.

-jsw