Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default spray paint can tip

Just had quite the battle with a clogged up spray paint can. Something
(paint solids?) was clogging the tube that goes up tube in the can. I
though it was the nozzle at first, so I tried another one.

Short story is brake cleaner will REALLY clean those nozzles out fast. A
little spray and a few minutes will make dried enamel just flakes off
those nozzles too.

It works way better than a soak of mineral spirits, which mostly does
nothing to dried paint anyways. Since many cans now spray upside down, the
old trick of clean out the nozzle with just some propellant doesn't work
anymore anyways.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote in message
news
Just had quite the battle with a clogged up spray paint can.
Something
(paint solids?) was clogging the tube that goes up tube in the can.
though it was the nozzle at first, so I tried another one.

Short story is brake cleaner will REALLY clean those nozzles out
fast. A
little spray and a few minutes will make dried enamel just flakes
off
those nozzles too.

It works way better than a soak of mineral spirits, which mostly
does
nothing to dried paint anyways. Since many cans now spray upside
down, the
old trick of clean out the nozzle with just some propellant doesn't
work
anymore anyways.

I'm working on car rustouts with several sprays and have been removing
the nozzles and dripping solvent through them with an eyedropper or
lighter fluid can.

3M Cavity Wax and Bondo Glass look good so far (1 week) in the salt
water test, rust converter not so much, and the epoxy I used last time
as filler had broken loose. Recently purchased LPS-3 isn't as
effective as what I bought in the 90's.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 9 Sep 2017 23:18:22 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Just had quite the battle with a clogged up spray paint can. Something
(paint solids?) was clogging the tube that goes up tube in the can. I
though it was the nozzle at first, so I tried another one.

Short story is brake cleaner will REALLY clean those nozzles out fast. A
little spray and a few minutes will make dried enamel just flakes off
those nozzles too.

It works way better than a soak of mineral spirits, which mostly does
nothing to dried paint anyways. Since many cans now spray upside down, the
old trick of clean out the nozzle with just some propellant doesn't work
anymore anyways.

I soak them in brake fluid then blow them clean.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

I should try lighter fluid on the next round of gummed up nozzles. Pretty
sure brake cleaner is cheaper when it's on sale at the auto parts place
though.

3M Cavity Wax and Bondo Glass look good so far (1 week) in the

salt
water test, rust converter not so much, and the epoxy I used last time
as filler had broken loose. Recently purchased LPS-3 isn't as
effective as what I bought in the 90's.

Any idea what changed in the lps-3 stuff?

I grabbed a can of the CRC SP-400 corrosion inhibitor to play with. It
smells so bad it's barely usable though. Not sure what the "perfume" in
the LPS line is, but it's tolerable. LPS-1 even smells nice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

IIRC the MSDS for LPS-3 used to list an organic amine but no longer
mentions any specific corrosion inhibitor, while 3M Cavity Wax does,
as a Trade Secret.

Lighter fluid works for sprays that contain petroleum distillates. I
began as a chemist and can tell from the label or the smell which type
of solvent is appropriate. Google is refusing to return any help on
distinguishing them.
-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Just had quite the battle with a clogged up spray paint can. Something
(paint solids?) was clogging the tube that goes up tube in the can. I
though it was the nozzle at first, so I tried another one.

Short story is brake cleaner will REALLY clean those nozzles out fast. A
little spray and a few minutes will make dried enamel just flakes off
those nozzles too.

It works way better than a soak of mineral spirits, which mostly does
nothing to dried paint anyways. Since many cans now spray upside down, the
old trick of clean out the nozzle with just some propellant doesn't work
anymore anyways.

I soak them in brake fluid then blow them clean.

I've used lacquer thinner before, but will consider the brake fluid,
too. I soak it overnight, then clean in the morning. To ease the
loss of a few tips, I found a vendor on Ebay which sold lots of ten of
each of 5 styles/sizes/tip shapes for a few bucks and bought some.
This covers me for everything from lacquer to spray glue tips.
http://tinyurl.com/hz9smop

-

butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet,
balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying,
take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations,
analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a
tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is
for insects.

-Robert A. Heinlein