Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made this welding table from 2" plate

On 5/3/2017 5:45 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
On 2017-05-01, wrote:
On Sunday, April 30, 2017 at 11:17:24 PM UTC-4,
wrote:

Table weighs over 2 tons.

Imagine if it had a cement table-top.

Many years ago a company where I worked made some 4 by 8 feet
concrete table tops. We picked some smooth places on the concrete
floor and put down Visqueen so the fresh concrete would not bond
to the floor. Formed up the mold and put in rebar.

The tables worked well. No warping. Probably would not work well
for a welding table.

Cement can spall due to high heat and that is a hazard.

Portland cement that is. a.k.a. "normal cement".

Refractory Cement I used is a Non-water based cement. It starts
with water and chemically reacts, gets hot and boils most off. It
is a Hard and flame / furnace good to 3800 degrees F. I use a
forced air (no fan) but Venturi torch with propane to drive the
furnace.
It is heavier than the water borne Portland mix.

Martin

I sometimes weld on firebricks. They withstand the heat well enough
but spatter sticks and removing it degrades the surface. They are fine
for occasional hobby use and since I store them under the wood stove
they don't take up valuable storage space.
-jsw

Those are a pink/tan foam based refractory. Wood stoves use them also.
They make sacks of material using Alumina that hot temp Pottery places
use and it will give you better service.
Then there is my rock based process and there is another that is even
higher temp.

I had some 'extra' mixed up and poured them into small
tin foil (Al really) that the wife had - created 6x6" 2" high temp
'bricks with a wave bottom - holds work in the air on the ribs and the
brick takes the heat and heats from underneath as well.

Martin