Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Today's Project

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans
against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will
increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my other
blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone .
Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than one
"weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser ...
Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight and
bow quiver included ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:24:26 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans
against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will
increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my
other blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone .
Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than
one
"weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser
Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight
and bow quiver included ...

Practice shooting from your stand. If it wobbles the least bit, you
probably want to stiffen it up, particularly if you want to shoot a bow
straight.

(This comes from zero experience, BTW, so take it with whatever grain of
salt you want to).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

I'm looking for work -- see my website!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:
[...]

I haven't stood it up against a tree yet , but it seems like it's going to
be pretty sturdy by the time I strap it down as instructed . What I need
more is to practice with this new bow , I'm sure it isn't going to be much
like my recurves ... this is also the first bow I've ever had with a sight .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 10 Aug 2016 18:32:23 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

[...]

Good advice.

What weight is the Grizzly II?...and what shaft material are you
using?

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Draw weight is adjustable , it's at ~60 lbs peak right now . I've got some
2117 aluminums that I'm going to try with some 100 gm points . I might bump
up to a 2315 shaft and 125 gm broadheads . I'm not sure what the velocity
will be , but it has what are considered "soft" cams and probably won't go
over 175-200 fps . That gives Bambi about half a second at the 30 yard range
I'll have at my selected stand location .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans
against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will
increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my other
blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone .
Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than one
"weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser ...
Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight and
bow quiver included ...

My Dad used to recommend one of those big salt blocks, like people put
out for their cattle, about 50 yards out in front of the blind.
--
cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and
leans against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully
this will increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look
up much - my other blind is at ground level and too close to the
kill zone . Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I
have more than one "weapon") this year is my very first compound bow
. It has a metal riser ... Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years
old but a steal at $25 . Sight and bow quiver included ...

My Dad used to recommend one of those big salt blocks, like people put
out for their cattle, about 50 yards out in front of the blind.

It's still legal here to bait with corn ... and I'll have my game cam out
there to learn their habits .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans
against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will
increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my other
blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone .

What does the elevator look like? Is it steel, too?

Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than one
"weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser ...
Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight and
bow quiver included ...

Great deal.

--
I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the
freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and
leans against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully
this will increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look
up much - my other blind is at ground level and too close to the
kill zone .

What does the elevator look like? Is it steel, too?

Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more
than one "weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has
a metal riser ... Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a
steal at $25 . Sight and bow quiver included ...

Great deal.

The "elevator" (smartass) is a ladder made of thinwall steel square tube .
By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't work) it
may not be such agreat deal .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:54:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't work) it
may not be such agreat deal .
--
Snag

My wife bought a compound bow for the grandkids at a garage sale. They enjoy shooting it, but the arrows seem to disappear. Need a bigger backstop.

Anyway I looked at arrows from AliExpress and found they were much cheaper than the ones in the local stores.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and
leans against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully
this will increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look
up much - my other blind is at ground level and too close to the
kill zone .

What does the elevator look like? Is it steel, too?

Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more
than one "weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has
a metal riser ... Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a
steal at $25 . Sight and bow quiver included ...

Great deal.

The "elevator" (smartass) is a ladder made of thinwall steel square tube .

Gotcha! /sa

By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't work) it
may not be such agreat deal .

It's nice to be able to make things like that, but some things are
best done in a production setting.

--
I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the
freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of
those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
--James Madison
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 07:35:46 -0500, "Terry Coombs"

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:54:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't
work) it may not be such agreat deal .
--
Snag

My wife bought a compound bow for the grandkids at a garage sale.
They enjoy shooting it, but the arrows seem to disappear. Need a
bigger backstop.

Anyway I looked at arrows from AliExpress and found they were much
cheaper than the ones in the local stores.

Dan

Thanks Dan , I've looked a little and they are cheaper than most .

Don't forget eBay. Most of the stuff in the stores nowadays is
Chiwanese import, with prices 500-1000% of cost. Buy direct.

--
I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the
freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachment of
those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations.
--James Madison
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I assembled my new deer stand . It's one of those that seats 2 and leans
against a tree . I got the tree all picked out . Hopefully this will
increase my harvest ratio , Whitetails don't usually look up much - my other
blind is at ground level and too close to the kill zone .
Also , new to my "arsenal" (libs would call it that , I have more than one
"weapon") this year is my very first compound bow . It has a metal riser ...
Bear Grizzly II and probably 25 years old but a steal at $25 . Sight and
bow quiver included ...

Greetings Terry,
You do have an arsenal, look up the definition. Not just libs but
anybody describing your collections of weapons could accurately call
it an arsenal. So what? I'm a lib and I have an arsenal. Several
weapons, all firearms. And I shoot 'em. Why not just drop the
political crap and instead stick to your metalworking posts, which I
and others enjoy reading and commenting on? It is RCM after all and
not RCP.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 11 Aug 2016 05:25:14 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

On Thursday, August 11, 2016 at 12:54:05 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:

By the time I get arrows for this bow (assuming what I have won't work) it
may not be such agreat deal .
--
Snag

My wife bought a compound bow for the grandkids at a garage sale. They enjoy shooting it, but the arrows seem to disappear. Need a bigger backstop.

Anyway I looked at arrows from AliExpress and found they were much cheaper than the ones in the local stores.

Dan

Depending on draw weight and length...if its a fairly light weight
bow..you can..can use wooden arrows. Which are rather cheap if you
browse around online. I make my own arrows..generally out of
fiberglass shafts when I can find them, aluminum when I can afford
them...buy a lot of used shafts..and wood for one of my recurves.

I don't own a carbon fiber arrow..I have an issue with paying $5-12
EACH for them, particularly when I do a bunch of "stump shooting"

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

What is the draw weight and the draw length? I have some arrows
kicking around.....

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

It's currently set at around 60-62 pounds peak , I draw around 29 1/2
inches . I have a bunch of 2117 aluminums , and both 100 and 125 gr field
tips and broadheads for them . I found an ebay vendor that has carbon shaft
arrows for under 50 bucks a dozen , ordered some spined for 60-75 pounds .
I'd planned on trying some 2315 aluminums , but they were a little too
pricey for my budget . I'll be trying the 2117's with 100 gr points , the
carbons with 125's .
--
Snag