Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default TEST RESULTS was inconel or stainless

On Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 2:02:25 PM UTC-4, Ignoramus28785 wrote:

I also tried to grind both pieces with an angle grinder and they gave
different patterns, the stainless sparks were a lot longer and more
plentiful.

I did not test the large grates.

any thoughts on this?

You could send me a chunk off the grate and I could sweet talk the guy at the scrap yard to use the XRF on it.

You could look on Ebay and get someone else to XRF it. I think most places charge about $25.

Or I could send you a couple of pieces of inconel welding rod so you can check how known inconel acts and sparks. There are more than one inconel, but at least you would know exactly what the welding rod was.

I have no experience with seeing if a metal sugars when heated. I would expert different stainless steel to not all act the same.

Dan