Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Hot Water Heater Draw Test Results?

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like to
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

But would the temperature drop like that even if it was set too low,
shouldn't it be more constant?

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Al Franz" wrote:

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture
told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Sounds like your thermostat is set too low

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:00:55 -0700, "Al Franz"
wrote:

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like to
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Gas or Electric? If Electric, have you tested both upper and lower
elements?

A build-up of sediment can also cause this, as it acts as an insulator
between burner/element and the water. Have you flushed it recently?

Paul F.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Gas

I have run water out of the drain valve and did not see much sediment.
Other then that have not done anything to it. Recently moved into the
house.

wrote:

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture
told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Gas or Electric? If Electric, have you tested both upper and lower
elements?

A build-up of sediment can also cause this, as it acts as an insulator
between burner/element and the water. Have you flushed it recently?

Paul F.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture
told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Gas or Electric? If Electric, have you tested both upper and lower
elements?

A build-up of sediment can also cause this, as it acts as an insulator
between burner/element and the water. Have you flushed it recently?

Paul F.

Hi,
Flush it and set the 'stat little hotter than normal setting, that's
what I do. Even if you have softner, I flush the tank twice a year.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pat Pat is offline

"Al Franz" wrote in message
But would the temperature drop like that even if it was set too low,
shouldn't it be more constant?

"nick hull" wrote in message
.. .
In article ,
"Al Franz" wrote:

Have a 50 gal hot water heater that was not producing much hot water. I
replaced the Dip Tube and still not much improvement. The manufacture
told
me to do a draw test, measure the temperature in 7 consecutive 5 gallon
buckets drawn from hot water.

The results we 105, 111, 106, 101, 99, 96, 93

What could this mean, have not called the manufacture yet but would like
get other opinions. Dip Tube installed improperly, would a hot water
heater go bad like this, any information would be helpful, thanks!

Sounds like your thermostat is set too low

The drop seems normal.