Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some peoples kids.....sigh IE Welding schools?

I had a young guy come over a week or so ago, he heard that I had
"machining and welding stuff" and he wanted to see if he could get
some tig rod. He has a little DC only TIG rig and had been ****ing
around with it. This area is not known for being big on TIG..mostly
pipe welding for the oil fields. Took the kid out to the shop, showed
him my toys and out to the welding shop. Talked to him about what he
was wanting to do..and gave him some tig filler. He thanked me..and
left. I figured Id never see him again.

Yesterday morning..he showed back up with some of his work to get some
advise. So I took him out to the shop and fired up my big TIG
multiprocess machine and had him duplicate his practice work while I
watched over his shoulder and gave him some advice. His welds
improved 300% in just a couple minutes. We got to talking about
aluminum welding and he expressed interest in learning how to do it.
His welder is DC only, and I warned him about doing aluminum with it
and suggested a couple methods about how he might be able to "get by"
with a DC only machine, then brought out some thin aluminum stock,
filler and switched the machine to AC and let him run a couple
beads..warning him about the melting point versus the welding
point..and to watch his feet when the puddle went right through the
work. He fired up and immediately melted a hole in the work. Totally
expected. Then had him work on finding the sweet spot....which he did
VERY quickly.

To make a long story short..that kid, at the end of the day..was
welding SWEET aluminum fillets and long ones too. I had him doing
1/8" plate and welding it to 1/4" aluminum plate like a freaking pro.
It takes ME a couple attempts to get dialed in..and this kid did it in
just a couple tries..for the very first time!! I put on a .040
electrode and gave him a couple soda cans and he was doing a half way
decent job of welding the bottoms together!! Im tickled ****less that
he took to it so fast. I hate doing aluminum/TIG..and he simply..has
a knack for it. Next trip over...Im going to see what kind of stick
and mig welding he can do. I suspect he is going to be a star!

Oddly enough...he has been in the US for 8 yrs..and is Russian, came
over with his mom and they decided to immigrated and are becoming
citizens. His english is pretty good too, with almost no accent.
Kids..shrug

He has been working as labor here in the oil patch..and since the
patch is nearly shut down...he hasnt had a lot of work. I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

Thanks!

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

[...]

How is that? I have a DC-only, scratch-start, HF (no, Harbor Fright)
TIG.

[...]

Very cool. Kudos, Teach.

He has been working as labor here in the oil patch..and since the
patch is nearly shut down...he hasnt had a lot of work. I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

Sorry, no idea.

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I had a young guy come over a week or so ago,

Did you show him your acreage and the cull list? When he stood behind
the invisible backhoe, could you still see him?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/13/2016 1:42 PM, Far From Any Road wrote:
When he stood behind the invisible backhoe, could you still see him?

It's still really early, but that's almost certain to be Line of the Week.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...g-welding.html

This the long version of was told. Only played with Al and TIG once.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 14:31:47 -0700, Rudy Canoza
wrote:

On 6/13/2016 1:42 PM, Far From Any Road wrote:
When he stood behind the invisible backhoe, could you still see him?

It's still really early, but that's almost certain to be Line of the Week.

Line of the Year still goes to Wieber. "Of course I don't own my lot."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...lding+aluminum

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHkx8cca-SQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UY7KAnJGYwY

Your welcome!

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Thats for AC welding. But thanks!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...-using-dc.html

--
Energy and persistence alter all things.
--Benjamin Franklin

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Strange how, with all this expertise you still can't get a job.
--

Alvin D.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 6/13/2016 10:20 PM, John Doe wrote:
I suck cocks large and small...

That's nice, ****stain.

-- Far From Any Road ffar hs.org wrote in
news:qk6ulb14ncfhaj31qgbou5v5c22ck0krjq 4ax.com:
From: Far From Any Road ffar hs.org
Newsgroups: rec.crafts.metalworking
Subject: Some peoples kids.....sigh IE Welding schools?
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 13:42:30 -0700

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700, Gunner Asch gunnerasch gmail.com
wrote:

I had a young guy come over a week or so ago,

Did you show him your acreage and the cull list? When he stood behind
the invisible backhoe, could you still see him?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 06/13/2016 1:23 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

No specifics, no, but isn't CA full of community colleges/tech schools?
Certainly the welding program at the local institution turns out
certified welding graduates as well as other specific trades in
reasonable time at quite affordable prices...I'm certain that must also
be true there; in fact, I'd be quite surprised if there weren't
considerable financial assistance available...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job.

LOL You claim to have a lot more than a knack. So why haven't you
gotten certified so you can get a good paying job?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job.

LOL You claim to have a lot more than a knack. So why haven't you
gotten certified so you can get a good paying job?

Wieber reminds me soooooooo much of my younger brother, with whom I
haven't spoken in close to a decade. My brother actually can do a whole
lot of things - useful stuff that I wouldn't even know how to get
started doing - but he can't do any of them really well, and he always
scoffed at the idea of learning something (or a couple of things) really
well in a formal setting, because that would have required keeping his
damned mouth shut and not pretending he knew it better already than the
instructor. Like Wieber, he brags incessantly about having done stuff
that no reasonable person would ever believe he could have done. Like
Wieber, the little details of his lies seem constantly to be in flux.
Like Wieber, he's both a scrounger and a pack rat (here's a good one:
in 1993, I bought a new BMW K75S. I let him ride it one evening, and he
said it was "nice," but he preferred his Royal Enfield
something-or-other. It was *completely* disassembled in a couple of
wooden crates, and had been since he acquired it some time in the 1970s.
When he and I had a complete rupture early in 2007, it *still* was in
crates.)

One more resemblance to Wieber...every once in a blue moon, the façade
would collapse and he would reveal that he actually had very little clue
about how to make it through life. Those episodes were very much like
Wieber's long wheezy lament here a few months back about not having an
operating vehicle, and seeming to be in a vicious circle: no money to
get a vehicle on the road, no vehicle to get to a place where he might
earn a little money. Those episodes were pathetic in the real sense of
the word: evoking pathos in those who had about written him off. But
like Wieber, he'd immediately do something to wreck that, usually
involving an angry rant about why any suggestions of what he might do to
break out of the circle were lousy ideas, and any feelings of empathy
would evaporate.

Unlike Wieber, he had a couple of long-term friends who were of a much
higher caliber than Tom Gardner. One in particular who had done quite
well financially helped my brother out of some jams, and the two friends
together once took my brother to buy a couple of suits so he could start
a sales job.

As offensive as my brother could be, I never heard him advocating mass
murder of people whose politics he didn't like.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a sad tale, and a familiar one. A friend has an adult kid with
a ton of problems. He's an enormous financial drain, and they know
they might as well flush the money down the toilet. Some people are
tough to help.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job.

LOL You claim to have a lot more than a knack. So why haven't you
gotten certified so you can get a good paying job?

" I claim to have a lot more than a knack"...at what? Tiddly Winks?
Long range antipersonel interdiction? Welding? Machining? ****ing
your ex in the ass?

Which "knack" are you babbling about this time?

Everybody is gonna get a really big kick out of your answer to this
one...so trot it out, fudgepacker.

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 13:06:22 -0700, Tesla's Hotel Room
wrote:

Unlike Wieber, he had a couple of long-term friends who were of a much
higher caliber than Tom Gardner. One in particular who had done quite
well financially helped my brother out of some jams, and the two friends
together once took my brother to buy a couple of suits so he could start
a sales job.

As offensive as my brother could be, I never heard him advocating mass
murder of people whose politics he didn't like.

That's a sad tale, and a familiar one. A friend has an adult kid with
a ton of problems. He's an enormous financial drain, and they know
they might as well flush the money down the toilet. Some people are
tough to help

what...is the honeymoon over? Or are you "two" simply taking a break
from dick sucking each other?

(VBG)

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700

He has been working as labor here in the oil patch..and since the
patch is nearly shut down...he hasnt had a lot of work. I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

I'm partial to Renton Tech, but ... YMMV.
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 14 Jun 2016 16:54:30 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700

He has been working as labor here in the oil patch..and since the
patch is nearly shut down...he hasnt had a lot of work. I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

I'm partial to Renton Tech, but ... YMMV.
--
pyotr filipivich

Ill check it out. Thanks!

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Unlike Wieber, he had a couple of long-term friends who were of a much
higher caliber than Tom Gardner. One in particular who had done quite
well financially helped my brother out of some jams, and the two friends
together once took my brother to buy a couple of suits so he could start
a sales job.

As offensive as my brother could be, I never heard him advocating mass
murder of people whose politics he didn't like.

That's a sad tale, and a familiar one. A friend has an adult kid with
a ton of problems. He's an enormous financial drain, and they know
they might as well flush the money down the toilet. Some people are
tough to help

what...is the honeymoon over? Or are you "two" simply taking a break
from dick sucking each other?

(VBG)

Rather than a (Very Big Grin), the question actually is, (do you have
a job yet)?

Or (DYFAJY)
--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch on Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700

He has been working as labor here in the oil patch..and since the
patch is nearly shut down...he hasnt had a lot of work. I want to
put together a list of affordable welding schools for him...anyone
that has the Knack this well..really needs to go to a decent school,
get certified and get a good paying job. Anyone have any suggestions
for good schools on the west coast?

I'm partial to Renton Tech, but ... YMMV.
--
pyotr filipivich

Ill check it out. Thanks!

You mean the part about "with age comes wisdom"? Unfortunately an
elderly person who imagines back hoes parked in the back yard probably
fits, perfectly, the second part of the adage.

--
and a good day to you Sir,

The Mighty Ant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, June 13, 2016 at 11:27:25 AM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Navel ship yard in Bremerton WA has IIRC( 6 year) apprentice program that results in a welder certified for nuc and submarine. Pays pretty well as an apprentice,

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 8 Jul 2016 13:06:29 -0700 (PDT), Dan
wrote:

[...]

Thanks Dan...saved for the next time I see him

---

Other peoples views ARW UK diy 36 August 10th 13 05:34 PM
California Business Schools-Stanford Graduate School of Business(also known as Stanford Business School, or Stanford GSB), located inCalifornia, is one of the world's top-most business schools for an MBAdegree. Stanford Business School. Khan Rashid Electronics Repair 0 November 5th 11 10:49 AM
Some peoples kids..... Steve B[_10_] Metalworking 1 November 6th 10 09:59 AM
Some peoples kids..... [email protected] Metalworking 0 November 4th 10 11:48 AM
Neaples sucks! Neapolitans are the scum of the peoples Hidalgo Velázquez Electronics Repair 1 June 5th 07 11:44 AM