Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some peoples kids.....sigh IE Welding schools?

On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 22:17:33 +0000 (UTC), Cydrome Leader
wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:
On Mon, 13 Jun 2016 11:23:17 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:

I had a young guy come over a week or so ago, he heard that I had
"machining and welding stuff" and he wanted to see if he could get
some tig rod. He has a little DC only TIG rig and had been ****ing
around with it. This area is not known for being big on TIG..mostly
pipe welding for the oil fields. Took the kid out to the shop, showed
him my toys and out to the welding shop. Talked to him about what he
was wanting to do..and gave him some tig filler. He thanked me..and
left. I figured Id never see him again.

Yesterday morning..he showed back up with some of his work to get some
advise. So I took him out to the shop and fired up my big TIG
multiprocess machine and had him duplicate his practice work while I
watched over his shoulder and gave him some advice. His welds
improved 300% in just a couple minutes. We got to talking about
aluminum welding and he expressed interest in learning how to do it.
His welder is DC only, and I warned him about doing aluminum with it
and suggested a couple methods about how he might be able to "get by"
with a DC only machine,

How is that? I have a DC-only, scratch-start, HF (no, Harbor Fright)
TIG.

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...g-welding.html

This the long version of was told. Only played with Al and TIG once.

Thats for AC welding. But thanks!

---