Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Other peoples views

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with battery
back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms when
you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the first
question I asked?"

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Perhaps if you had phrased it "Did you put the batteries in the alarms?"?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:29:29 +0100, Bert Coules wrote:

Perhaps if you had phrased it "Did you put the batteries in the
alarms?"?

... but did they get connected so as to power the alrams?

Avpx

--
'They've given us the answers,' he [Carrot] said. 'Perhaps
we can find out what the questions should have been.'
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bert Coules wrote:
Perhaps if you had phrased it "Did you put the batteries in the
alarms?"?

That was later in the argument.

The batteries in most alarms are already supplied in the alarm (an usually
already inside the battery compartment). You just need to connect the
battery to the alarm.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with battery
back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms when
you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the first
question I asked?"

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with that usage of the word 'second'.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Max Quad" wrote in message
. uk...

"ARW" wrote in message
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with that usage of the word 'second'.

--
Adam

Presumably then, you are not familiar with the trades' terms "first fix" and
"second fix" ?

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Max Quad" wrote in message
. uk...

"ARW" wrote in message
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with that usage of the word 'second'.

--
Adam

Presumably then, you are not familiar with the trades' terms "first fix"
and "second fix" ?

Arfa

You presume correctly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So are these alarms interconnected on just their output, ie their
triggering, or do they also all share a mains supply? Also of course do they
have internal allarms so they can function as a stand alone unit, and is
there protection for the battery in each alarm so its not running all the
others if the residents nich the batteries as seems to happen in a block of
flats near me.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Max Quad" wrote in message
. uk...

"ARW" wrote in message
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

I have to admit, I'm having trouble with that usage of the word 'second'.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms when
you second fixed them?"

I take it this apprentice isn't being fast-tracked onto the binary switch addressing installations, then?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with battery
back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms when
you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the first
question I asked?"

Yes, I do. Or perhaps I only think I do, and I don't really? How could I
tell?

We are just having some alarms put up in some flats that are being
converted. I would expect the builders to ensure that the alarms are
fully working with backup batteries installed by the time the flats are
handed over.

Second fix seems a good time to do it, UNLESS there's work going on in
the flats that's going to set them off all the time. That would be a
right PITA for your co-workers.

I would be concerned that the power to the alarms needs to be turned on
soon after the batteries are connected, so as to avoid those being drained.

What have I missed?
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Please tell me that you are a teacher.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/08/2013 19:26, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Fine. I'm a teacher. Shrugs.

I get the impression that I would have more patience with your
apprentices than you.

Can I ask you a question, now? We always hear from you when you have the
need to sound off about things going wrong. Do you ever praise your
apprentice when they do something well? It must be pretty dispiriting
for them if you only ever carp on at them about their mistakes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:26, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

What age group?

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:26, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Does it matter?
He wears nice clothes to go to work and comes home with clean hands.
Whereas you don't.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/08/2013 20:12, ARW wrote:

Please tell me that you are a teacher.

Fine. I'm a teacher. Shrugs.

What age group?

Umm, Adam, I'm not actually a teacher. I was just doing what you asked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:26, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

When the apprentice in the passenger seat smacked an undertaking cyclist in
the gob I was full of praise for him.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

When the apprentice in the passenger seat smacked an undertaking cyclist
in the gob I was full of praise for him.

--
Adam

Have you ever seen the Alan Davies 'Live at the Lyric' stand-up sketch
"Agency Bloke"? Take a look. Starts a couple of minutes in :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lv58GaxV7Wk

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 19:26, ARW wrote:
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

10/10 to the apprentice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Second fixing is a confusing term Adam.
Final fixing perhaps?
However, I would expect the batteries to be connected.
I have seen flats that have been occupied for 12 months with the dust covers
still over the detectors.
A spark installed the system and of course tested the system on the hand
over.
The alarm engineer I was with did not know the code for the panel and rang
the spark who installed the system.
Enter the spark, red faced and blustering. He knew the code - bravo.
Alarm tested. It did NOT work as the detectors had been wired up
incorrectly.
Enter the owner of the flats.
Exit Mr Pounder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

'Second fixing' is a well established and understood expression in the
building trade. Not at all confusing if you are working in that arena.

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
"Mr Pounder" wrote in message ...

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

I'm not working in the building trade anymore.
Your explanation of "second fixing" has been very useful. Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message

"ARW" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

Why is it confusing ? 'Second fix' a well known building term. The trades
all use it. Try reading

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_fix_and_second_fix

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 18:49, GB wrote:

[snip]
I would be concerned that the power to the alarms needs to be turned on
soon after the batteries are connected, so as to avoid those being drained.

I don't think you need to worry about that really. Mains alarms on
backup almost certainly pull no more power than battery alarms.

Mine will beep their "low battery" warning for about 15 minutes after
both mains and battery have been disconnected, running off their PSU
caps alone.

Cheers,

Colin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

GB wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25, ARW wrote:
[...]

You leave the dust covers on:-).

I would be concerned that the power to the alarms needs to be turned
on soon after the batteries are connected, so as to avoid those being
drained.

What's the timescale? A couple of months should not be a problem.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a PP9
battery!"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/08/2013 19:42, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier at
work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a PP9
battery!"

Perhaps it provides backup for the entire system :-)

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier
at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a
PP9 battery!"

PP3 9V. I have never claimed to be perfect.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 21:09:01 +0100, ARW wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier
at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a PP9
battery!"

PP3 9V. I have never claimed to be perfect.

I know, but it was fun!

I was actually amazed to see that PP9s are still sold. And not as
expensive as I thought.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier
at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms
when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a PP9
battery!"

PP3 9V. I have never claimed to be perfect.

I know, but it was fun!

I was actually amazed to see that PP9s are still sold. And not as
expensive as I thought.

Some Roberts and Hacker transistor radios still use a pair of them ...

Arfa

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 8, 2013 9:09:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

On Thu, 08 Aug 2013 18:25:52 +0100, ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier

at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with

battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the alarms

when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the

first question I asked?"

My answer would be "That's a bloody big smoke alarm - if it needs a

PP9 battery!"

PP3 9V. I have never claimed to be perfect.

I understood the question. ;)

& anyway don't these mains ones beep when battery is low/not fitted (assuming circuit is powered)??
sure mine do and flash a red LED so you can tell which one is on it's way?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

F wrote:
On 08/08/2013 18:25 ARW wrote:

I'll repeat the same question that caused a massive argument earlier
at work.

The question was about mains powered interlinked smoke alarms with
battery back up (a bog standard PP9 battery).

The question I asked was "Did you connect the batteries to the
alarms when you second fixed them?"

Now the the question I am asking is "does anyone else understand the
first question I asked?"

Yes.

The conversation went roughly like this
"Did you connect the batteries to the smokes when you second fixed them?"
"I do not know what you mean"
"Which bit do you not understand"
"All of it"
"You do know that there are batteries in the smoke alarms don't you?"
"Yes"
"And you do know that when you buy the alarms they do not work because the
batteries are not connected to the alarm?"
"Yes"
"So which bit of my question do you not understand?"
"The connection bit"
"Even though there is no power to the building will the alarms you fitted
work?"
"Yes"
"Why?"
"Because I put the battery in"
"The battery was already inside the alarm, I am asking if you actually
connected the battery to the smoke."
"I am still not sure about the connection bit"

FFS and it carried on. And when you have two of them for a week it's no
wonder you occasionally shout at them.

Finally we got there and he understood.

A pity he lied and said he had connected them up. As per usual with most 2nd
year about to start their 3rd year apprentices.

--
Adam