Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rimless cartridge question

I know, it's a nutty idea but I designed a centerfire .22 round. Dunno
yet whether I'll ever make any because it also means modifying a bolt
or making a new one for one of my .22 rifles.Today while eating lunch
and looking at a rimlesss cartridge I thought about making a rimless
..22 centerfire cartridge simply because it would mean less machining.
Looking online I see that rimless cartridges locate against the
shoulder. So when rimless cartridges are fired they can't grow in
length like rimmed ones can, right? If I make a rimless .22 cartridge
it will be .250 diameter. The bullets will still be the same dia. as
normal .22s of course. But maybe I can get away with a bullet with a
constant diameter instead of the traditional .22 rimfire design.
That would make it easier to make the bullet molds. If I did that
would the bullet still need to be crimped in the shell the way a .22
rimfire would be? My rimless design would increase the shell dia. to
..250 so that way the O.D. would just be the dia. of the stock. If
screw machine stock is used the the O.D. of the shell case will be
very consistent. Maybe I can get away with just pressing the bullets
in.
Eric