Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Extra-wide vice is built (with pictures)

I have built the extra-wide vice which I discussed in several threads here (paint and wooden jaws are still to come). Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Here are the pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57663551210144

In the end, I decided to use two scissor mechanisms shortly before my leave from work began. I did a few calculations and figured I could fit a sturdy mechanism inside two lengths of channel. I'm pretty pleased with the result. Jaw width is 75 cm (30"), so it's as wide as the largest Black & Decker Workmate.

A couple of observations:

- Stiffness and ease of adjustment are great. Clamping asymetrically using half the jaw width is possible with hardly any flexing. Clamping a narrow piece of wood at the very end of the jaws (with nothing at the other end) causes a little flexing, but isn't problematic. The single handle with 1/2" jaw movement per turn allows quick adjustment.

- The downsides are the weight of something like 80 lbs (I might need to add a little stiffening to my steel bench frame) and the fact that it can jam at the very end of its travel. It was designed for a 6" jaw opening. Jamming occurs beyond an 8" opening, so it works according to my design, but I might add some kind of stop to limit the travel. And I haven't lubricated the scissors yet.

Enjoy the pictures. Comments and questions are welcome.

Best wishes,

Chris
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I love pictures and especially videos of vices, the naughty stuff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Am Montag, 14. März 2016 00:53:15 UTC+1 schrieb Ignoramus27049:
I love pictures and especially videos of vices, the naughty stuff

I am not going to clamp you in the vice and make a video of it :-).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Mar 2016 16:49:20 -0700 (PDT), Christopher Tidy
wrote:

I have built the extra-wide vice

Is that where you like plus-size women? Oh, I forgot, you're a Brit
and oddly spell some words.

which I discussed in several threads here (paint and wooden jaws are still to come). Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions. Here are the pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/138493...57663551210144

Zirks are a good idea for longevity. Good thinking.

In the end, I decided to use two scissor mechanisms shortly before my leave from work began. I did a few calculations and figured I could fit a sturdy mechanism inside two lengths of channel. I'm pretty pleased with the result. Jaw width is 75 cm (30"), so it's as wide as the largest Black & Decker Workmate.

I take it that you never expect to hold something deeper than the
jaws? There wouldn't be much room to poke something down between
those double scissor legs.

A couple of observations:

- Stiffness and ease of adjustment are great. Clamping asymetrically using half the jaw width is possible with hardly any flexing. Clamping a narrow piece of wood at the very end of the jaws (with nothing at the other end) causes a little flexing, but isn't problematic. The single handle with 1/2" jaw movement per turn allows quick adjustment.

- The downsides are the weight of something like 80 lbs (I might need to add a little stiffening to my steel bench frame) and the fact that it can jam at the very end of its travel. It was designed for a 6" jaw opening. Jamming occurs beyond an 8" opening, so it works according to my design, but I might add some kind of stop to limit the travel. And I haven't lubricated the scissors yet.

A simple rod with stop like a screen door closer uses might work to
make an adjustable limit.

Enjoy the pictures. Comments and questions are welcome.

More pics when you're done, please.

--
Our main business is not to see what lies dimly at
a distance but to do what lies clearly at hand.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I take it that you never expect to hold something deeper than the
jaws? There wouldn't be much room to poke something down between
those double scissor legs.

I did think about this. It's very rare that I use this facility, so it's not a big sacrifice. Being able to open and close the vice quickly and neatly is much more important. The most important application will be planing longer boards by hand.

A simple rod with stop like a screen door closer uses might work to
make an adjustable limit.

Might do this. I think I'll wait until I've lubricated and adjusted the scissors. That might change the situation a little.