Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default 304 Rod Machining

I had to machine some 3/4 304 stainless round rod last week, and it
performed a little oddly. I first noticed it on the band saw when I cut the
slugs to machine. They would cut with a kind of eye shape on the end. Then
when I cross drilled it I noticed I got beaughtiful continuous curls about a
1/4 of the way in, then through the middle it gave me kinda nasty looking
munched up looking chips, and as it approached the other side nice pretty
curled continuous chips would start coming out of the hole again. I drilled
them on the KMB1, so feed was consistant.

It was like the surface 1/8-3/16 was what I was expecting, and then the
middle was something totally different.

When I milled the hex half way through to engage the pins I didn't notice
anything odd, but that was planned to be a pretty light fast cut.

I have no idea what it means. It was just seemed odd to observe. They are
just cross handles for a core pull pin so the alloy is really not all that
important. Just needed to be stainless.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 18:22:07 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

[...]

'Don't know the answer to your dilemma, but a clue might be the fact
that a cold-rolled stainless bar generally is harder on the outside
than in the core. This is true of most steel grades, but moreso with
stainless, and the effect is greater as the bar gets thicker.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 06:47:04 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

---

303 would not be a good choice in the abattoir. It is not nearly as
corrosion resistant as 304 or 316. And shouldn't be welded either.
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some
uses
in the US. It pits.

--
Ed Huntress

What do you know about Inconel 600 for food, specifically for a
thermocouple probe in simmering tomato sauce or acidic meat marinade?
The applications tech at Omega knew even less about it than I do.

The probe I bought from them reads 212.1F in boiling water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple
"The main limitation with thermocouples is accuracy; system errors of
less than one degree Celsius (°C) can be difficult to achieve."

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:58:32 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some
uses
in the US. It pits.

--
Ed Huntress

What do you know about Inconel 600 for food, specifically for a
thermocouple probe in simmering tomato sauce or acidic meat marinade?
The applications tech at Omega knew even less about it than I do.

The probe I bought from them reads 212.1F in boiling water.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermocouple
"The main limitation with thermocouples is accuracy; system errors of
less than one degree Celsius (°C) can be difficult to achieve."

-jsw

I don't know anything about it, but this site says it's an "effective
tool" in food processing.

http://www.steelforge.com/literature...dbits/inconel/

That stands to reason, because it's a very corrosion resistant
nickel-chrome-iron alloy.

You'll see many Google references to Inconel 600 and food processing.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29/01/2016 8:45 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

Yeah, anything in food production areas has to be food safe. And since
nobody seems know even know what it is, certainly won't be an issue!
People don't seem to get it when I sorta whinge about not being able
to find things I want, tooling, hardware, etc. So have shown McMaster
Carr's website to a few. Blew them away...

I've had fun collecting MSDS for everything we use in the plant, and
sorting out what's food safe and what's not.

Jon

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 29 Jan 2016 18:15:31 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

On 29/01/2016 8:45 AM, Ed Huntress wrote:

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

Yeah, anything in food production areas has to be food safe. And since
nobody seems know even know what it is, certainly won't be an issue!
People don't seem to get it when I sorta whinge about not being able
to find things I want, tooling, hardware, etc. So have shown McMaster
Carr's website to a few. Blew them away...

We often don't appreciate what we have here.

I've had fun collecting MSDS for everything we use in the plant, and
sorting out what's food safe and what's not.

At least they're available online these days.

Regarding 303, my recollection is that there is no toxicity issue.
It's the pitting that's a problem -- maybe from the sulfur content,
but I don't remember the detail. Anything that pits or corrodes,
whether the material itself is safe or not, is a harbor for bacteria.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

Watch out using 303 for food processing. It's restricted for some uses
in the US. It pits.

When supplying the food industry with wire brushes the Stainless Steel
spec. was for 302, I can't tell you why except that 302 is the most
common alloy wire available and it handles much better than any other
alloy. I hated working with 304 the most.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The spec on 302 is almost identical to that for 304, except that 302
has twice as much carbon. Both 302 and 304 have half the sulfur of
303, which is why 303 machines so easily.

I'm rusty on this (forgive the pun), but my recollection is that it's
the sulfur that enables pitting in 303.

I see lots of info on using different grades of stainless in food
processing on the Web. They might help Jon.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

"304, thats a whore"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

Thats because 304 corrodes far less than 303..and 316 hardly corrodes
at all.

As you know...the liquids in the abattoir industry are not simply
"water"..but have a goodly percentage of hydrocloric acid in them.

Gunner

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

Interestingly I made the pins with 303. My plan was to just bend an L bend
on them, but I decided I needed to make a bending jig to do that well, and
it was faster to machine the ends and put cross handles on. My local metal
yard (the one I like) only had 304 on hand.

I am aware of stainless work hardening, and took a fairly agressive feed I
thought. I got beaughtiful continuous chips to start each cross drill.
Maybe I should drill more agressively? Maybe even program stuff like that
with a particular familiar stock with three drill operations?