Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson[_3_] Jon Anderson[_3_] is offline

Default 304 Rod Machining

On 28/01/2016 1:28 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

I've seen that "eye" on a lot of different bar stock , I think it must be
caused by a harmonic vibration of the bandsaw blades . My experience with
304 is that you turn slow with heavy feed , and if you let the cutter skate
at all it'll work harden . Nasty stuff , I'll use 303 instead when I can .

I think you're right on the 'eye' thing, have seen that too, and
sometimes on other materials.

I've spec'd a couple items I've sourced out here in 303 for easier
machining. Nobody seems to know what it is in rural AU. Everyone out
here uses 304 or 316 in the abattoir industry.

Jon

---