Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Generator Update

On Tue, 19 Jan 2016 14:39:06 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

D-FENS wrote:
On 01/19/2016 12:38 PM, Frank wrote:
On 1/19/2016 1:04 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
I just flashed the field windings on my generator , it's now working
normally .
My thanks to all who replied to my original post , with special
thanks to
Neon John for being the first to suggest flashing the field .

Thanks for sharing.
Good thread for those of us with generators that might have future
problem.

Indeed. Perhaps Terry would be so kind as to write a paragraph
describing how he or she flashed the windings of his or her generator.

Certainly would ... This generator has slip rings to energize the windings
in the rotor , uses a coil in the stator to charge the rotor windings . I
had the generator partway disassembled to check for a physical reason for no
output . What I did was use the 12V battery from my tractor to energize the
field windings on the rotor for about 2 seconds then broke the connection
quickly . Got a lot bigger spark when I disconnected ... this is exactly the
same procedure used to flash the field windings on a generator like was used
in cars and trucks way back when we wuz yoots .
Oh , and I am most definitely male , and have the dependents to prove it .

I hope you aren't thinking of flashing your dependents to prove you
have 'em.
Eric