Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tri-mix VS Bi-mix gas for 304SS welding

To All,
So another SS welding job has come my way that would benefit,
timewise, by using MIG instead of TIG. I have a Lincoln SP125 Plus
welder and will be welding 1/16 maximum thickness 304SS for this job.
According to Lincoln my welder should have no problem doing this weld
as long as the right gas mix is used. C25 gas is about 1/3 the price
of Tri-mix with 90% helium. I tried using flow gauges to mix C25 with
pur argon in order to get a Bi-mix ratio of 98% argon, 2% CO2 which
Lincoln recommends, but I wasn't real happy with the appearance of the
welds. This could be because the flow gauges weren't accurate enough,
or I couldn't set then accurately enough, or that the gasses didn't
mix properly (which I doubt), or because I can't weld worth a ****. Or
it could be because the welds would look crappy no matter who did the
welding because 98% argon 2% CO makes crappy looking welds. I could
try the mixing trick with the oxygen but I don't have a flow meter
that is for a low enough flow. So I am thinking about buying a
cylinder of 98% argon, 2% oxygen. Can anyone here give me good advice
about how well the 304 will weld with .030 308lSi wire and 98%A, 2%O
mixed gas?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

I've welded 304 using a 90% He, 7% Ar and 3% CO2 mix using a mixing
manifold. Keep in mind that stainless takes HEAT to get a nice weld. You
will want to crank up the voltage and wire feed to raise the heat into
the weld.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Why won't pure argon work ? Is MIG that much different from TIG ? I've
never used SS in my MIG machine , it interests me to know what to expect if
and when I do . I have 2 "flow" guages , but only one is actually a flow
gauge the other is a cheapie .
I did try TIG with C25 once, it wasn't pretty . I think the SS takes up
carbon from the CO2 .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 14:56:12 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

[...]

Greetings Terry,
Pure argon won't work for MIG because the SS needs an "active" gas to
get hot enough. When using TIG the heat is of course controlled by the
arc between the tungsten and the work, but with MIG all the heat can
only come from the actual arc between the filler metal and the work. I
have tried pure argon with SS before I knew better and it doesn't work
very well. Tri-mix with 90% helium works well partly because the
helium doesn't carry the heat away as much as other gases. But it
costs a lot and I won't be using it much so I would rather use a
cheaper gas mix.
Cheers,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

OK , thanks . With the cost of SS MIG wire I'm probably not going to go
there now that I have a TIG machine but it's good to know .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 21:26:03 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

[...]

Yeah, the MIG wire is about 13 bucks a pound. But the faster speed of
MIG over TIG will more than make up for any extra up front costs
because I will be needing to buy wire. I do have SS MIG wire but not
the correct alloy. The alloys I have don't have the extra silicon
added. Lincoln recommends the silicon because it helps the weld bead
wet out better. This morning I ordered an oxygen flow meter that has a
low enough flow so I can accurately mix in the 2% oxygen to the 98%
argon. I'm also gonna make a new gas mixing tube. Since I have oxygen
here at the shop it will be easy to see if a bi-mix gas will work for
me. Better than buying a cylinder full only to find out it won't work
for me.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, December 30, 2015 at 10:11:46 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Eric,
Just to clarify this: pure argon is okay to use when welding SS with TIG, right? I welded some SS with my Lincoln 175 TIG a few years ago, but can't remember any problems with the weld.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Ok , I 'm going to jump out on a limb here and guess - the only way I can
see that this can work is to have flow controls that operate at the same
pressure , and flow is controlled by something like a needle valve . That
won't work with what I have , my cheapie is just a regulator with a pressure
gauge calibrated (and not well at that) in "CFM" .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 09:06:15 -0800 (PST), Garrett Fulton
wrote:

[...]

Wiith TIG only pure argon for SS, with MIG mixed gasses.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 1 Jan 2016 13:24:03 -0600, "Terry Coombs"

[...]

The flow meter outputs will be connected to a manifold that is
pressurized much lower than either flow meter because the manifold
connects to the gas hose for the MIG torch. So I think as long as both
flow meters show flow I'm OK.
Eric

HELP! SS MIG welding [email protected] Metalworking 8 September 13th 15 03:21 PM
Welding Pigs (Watch Tig Welding/Brazing with Silicon Bronze First) jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 29th 14 09:14 PM
welding [email protected] Metalworking 8 December 23rd 07 04:37 PM
welding leedsbob UK diy 3 November 2nd 07 11:28 PM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM