Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default HELP! SS MIG welding

I need to MIG weld a stainless part. I have a Lincoln SP125+ welder,
C25 , CO2, and argon gasses. I have 308L wire. I can't tig this
because I cannot get the tig torch into the tight space. The welding
is being done on a beer keg. At the top of the keg is a valve that has
had the innards removed so now it is just a sleeve poking out of the
keg top. Into the side of this sleeve I put a hole to accept the OD of
a 3/4 pipe nipple. This nipple needs to be welded into the sleeve. I
welded all the way around the nipple on the inside of the sleeve but
the customer also wants the sleeve welded on the outside. The problem
is that the pipe nipple is practically tangent to the domed top of the
keg. I tried TIGging the nipple all the way around but can't get the
tungsten into the really tight space where the nipple side practically
touches the keg. I could do this with MIG though. Reading online at
the Lincoln website I should be using no more than 3 % CO2 mixed with
argon to do the weld. Pure argon is advised against. Will C25 really
not work? This weld is really cosmetic because the internal weld is a
good weld. The finished product will be part of a still for a new
micro distillery and so it must look good. This is why the customer
wants the outside weld and the customer is always right. Since the
still will be used as part of a legal operation it will be showed off
and may lead to other work. I am going to try to convince the customer
to change the plumbing in the future but right now this one needs to
be done the way the customer is asking.
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 15:07:39 -0700, wrote:

I need to MIG weld a stainless part. I have a Lincoln SP125+ welder,
C25 , CO2, and argon gasses. I have 308L wire. I can't tig this
because I cannot get the tig torch into the tight space. The welding
is being done on a beer keg.

The last time I looked, kegs were movable.
(OK, so that was 30 years ago last July, but...)

At the top of the keg is a valve that has
had the innards removed so now it is just a sleeve poking out of the
keg top. Into the side of this sleeve I put a hole to accept the OD of
a 3/4 pipe nipple. This nipple needs to be welded into the sleeve. I
welded all the way around the nipple on the inside of the sleeve but
the customer also wants the sleeve welded on the outside. The problem
is that the pipe nipple is practically tangent to the domed top of the
keg. I tried TIGging the nipple all the way around but can't get the
tungsten into the really tight space where the nipple side practically
touches the keg. I could do this with MIG though.

If you can get a MIG tip in there, why wouldn't a TIG gas lens with
extended electrode work, Eric? You know, a short electrode with the
tiny back cover? It seems like that might even be a smaller footprint
than MIG. Or is it a difference in angles which causes the bad fit?
Just curious.

Reading online at
the Lincoln website I should be using no more than 3 % CO2 mixed with
argon to do the weld. Pure argon is advised against. Will C25 really
not work? This weld is really cosmetic because the internal weld is a
good weld. The finished product will be part of a still for a new
micro distillery and so it must look good. This is why the customer
wants the outside weld and the customer is always right. Since the
still will be used as part of a legal operation it will be showed off
and may lead to other work. I am going to try to convince the customer
to change the plumbing in the future but right now this one needs to
be done the way the customer is asking.

Best of luck.

--
And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud
was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

Why cant you get the TIG torch in there? No short or stub electrode
back caps?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-Back-Caps-...-/190889081146

Ive got a few extra if you want one.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 12 Sep 2015 16:18:17 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I can get wire in the space but with the tungsten hanging out that
far, even with a gas lens, there is not good enough shielding. But
wire takes up much less space so there is room. Remember, with TIG you
need to get the tungsten and the filler wire at the same spot but
coming from different directions. I may need to fab up a custom cup
for the mig, just a copper collar to go around the stock one, in order
to get the proper ESO, but I don't think so. I cannot fab up a custon
ceramic TIG cup though.
Eric

Reading online at
the Lincoln website I should be using no more than 3 % CO2 mixed with
argon to do the weld. Pure argon is advised against. Will C25 really
not work? This weld is really cosmetic because the internal weld is a
good weld. The finished product will be part of a still for a new
micro distillery and so it must look good. This is why the customer
wants the outside weld and the customer is always right. Since the
still will be used as part of a legal operation it will be showed off
and may lead to other work. I am going to try to convince the customer
to change the plumbing in the future but right now this one needs to
be done the way the customer is asking.

Best of luck.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KVBnkAI3VCc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0pCir2hmhk

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/...ig-torches.jpg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, September 12, 2015 at 8:24:19 PM UTC-4, wrote:

I can get wire in the space but with the tungsten hanging out that
far, even with a gas lens, there is not good enough shielding.
Eric

Best of luck.

I have not tried using stainless backup flux, but it might be what you need. Superior Flux no 9 is one. The other is Solar Flux. Might solve your problem with having adequate shielding.

One problem is that the flux is expensive. The Superior No. 9 is slightly less expensive.

I have considered mixing up my own flux , but have no real need.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Could you make a filler piece to go in the space and then weld over that?
Or make a hood out of aluminum foil to surround the area on one side,
flood that with gas and stick the tungsten way out to reach into the
gap. Then put the hood on the other side to finish?

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 13 Sep 2015 08:00:04 -0400
"Steve W." wrote:

wrote:
[...]

You just need gas in the area you're welding for shielding. It doesn't
matter how you get it there. Listen to Steve and make some sort of
device to direct/keep shielding gas where you are welding and then use
TIG with a long stickout. Just another hose "Y'd" off your flow
regulator to some sort of fabbed nozzle should work.

Argon is heavier than air so it tends to sink. When I was MIG welding
inside cavity like things I would back way off on shielding gas flow
rate to save gas. You just didn't need much added gas once the cavity
was "full".

Put your filler rod in place before hand and use "lay wire" method.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Welding Pigs (Watch Tig Welding/Brazing with Silicon Bronze First) jon_banquer[_2_] Metalworking 0 December 29th 14 09:14 PM
MIG Welding Don Foreman Metalworking 0 October 17th 08 06:05 PM
need welding done!! [email protected] Metalworking 3 December 13th 05 05:42 AM
Need a little welding ... diyguy Metalworking 1 November 21st 05 05:10 AM
Welding Aluminum (WAS: Welding Magnesium) tony Metalworking 5 November 7th 03 01:21 AM