Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Tri-mix VS Bi-mix gas for 304SS welding

To All,
So another SS welding job has come my way that would benefit,
timewise, by using MIG instead of TIG. I have a Lincoln SP125 Plus
welder and will be welding 1/16 maximum thickness 304SS for this job.
According to Lincoln my welder should have no problem doing this weld
as long as the right gas mix is used. C25 gas is about 1/3 the price
of Tri-mix with 90% helium. I tried using flow gauges to mix C25 with
pur argon in order to get a Bi-mix ratio of 98% argon, 2% CO2 which
Lincoln recommends, but I wasn't real happy with the appearance of the
welds. This could be because the flow gauges weren't accurate enough,
or I couldn't set then accurately enough, or that the gasses didn't
mix properly (which I doubt), or because I can't weld worth a ****. Or
it could be because the welds would look crappy no matter who did the
welding because 98% argon 2% CO makes crappy looking welds. I could
try the mixing trick with the oxygen but I don't have a flow meter
that is for a low enough flow. So I am thinking about buying a
cylinder of 98% argon, 2% oxygen. Can anyone here give me good advice
about how well the 304 will weld with .030 308lSi wire and 98%A, 2%O
mixed gas?
Thanks,
Eric