Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Consumer electronics "war stories"

On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 1:53:47 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
"Chuck" wrote in in sci.electronics.repair in message
The receiver tech was flummoxed by one of those large 1970s Pioneer

receivers. It had a problem none of us had seen before and we were a
high volume audio chain. There was slight audio distortion on both
channels, only on FM. We all worked commission only so I was the only
one to volunteer to help him out. To cut to the chase, the receiver
had an over designed mute circuit that was 3 or 4 stages deep, At the
deepest stage there was one of the Sanyo electrolytics that became a
common failure item many years later which was slightly leaky.

Many electronic devices will have a common problem. It may take a while to
find it,but once found, the first thing to look for.

Most of them have microchips (that you can't open up and repair). And they have software and wireless or hard wired connections to larger facilities elsewhere where techs can come in and review the software.

Many problems seem to be caused from malware or spyware (maybe some even from the government or other places) that intentionally interferes with the intended software provided by the company on the package's label.

I worked for a large company and we had a new building built and
equipment installed.

Right now, I'm not even working. I'm just sitting around looking at space cartoons and video games.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, we got one of those fancy energy-saving washing machines. After a few
years, it started having trouble filling with water. I replaced the
solenoid valve assembly twice over about 6 months, and then started
invetigating deeper. The control board had a micro and about a dozen
electeromechanical relays on it. The one for the cold water valve
eventually developed contacts burned so bad that I was able to diagnose it.
I replaced it with a solid state relay, and all has been good for several
years. I gues the cold water valve gets cycled the most often, so that
relay got burned up first. No problem yet with any of the others.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Saturday, December 5, 2015 at 2:44:26 PM UTC-5, Jon Elson wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:
OK, we got one of those fancy energy-saving washing machines. After a few
years, it started having trouble filling with water. I replaced the
solenoid valve assembly twice over about 6 months, and then started
invetigating deeper. The control board had a micro and about a dozen
electeromechanical relays on it. The one for the cold water valve
eventually developed contacts burned so bad that I was able to diagnose it.
I replaced it with a solid state relay, and all has been good for several
years. I gues the cold water valve gets cycled the most often, so that
relay got burned up first. No problem yet with any of the others.

Yeah, obviously a current relay or just that kind of an interface or something. Tell 'em about it, so they can buy you a whole new one.

You can't get anything if you stay silent. (I learned that the hard way)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 05 Dec 2015 17:53:49 -0600, Jon Elson

[...]

The only thing I'll get out of them is a $250 service call, and another
control board with a short life. I assume everybody else that has this or a
related model ends up replacing that board every 2-3 years. Geez, I'll bet
that is the largest moneymaker they have in this business!

So, are you going to tell me that this is a coincidence, or are these
thieving bastids designing this crap to fail quickly, then making an
equal amount (to the sales profit) by servicing their dead crap? I'm
strongly guessing the latter. sigh

Congrats on the troubleshooting.

--
Courage and perseverance have a magical talisman, before
which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into air.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
[...]

The future is in DRM, no unauthorized repairs or aftermarket consumables.
With wifi connected everything you will simply rent or lease all your
appliances,
easy monthly payments, no need to spend big bucks appliances. Lets not
forget the monthly use tax that will be automaticly deducted from your bank
account. Fridge, stove broken? no problem the manufacture will simply
remove the broken one and replace it with a factory refurbished one of
the same model. Missed a payment on your wifi connected car? no
problem they will simply disable it when your in a high crime area.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

So, are you going to tell me that this is a coincidence, or are these
thieving bastids designing this crap to fail quickly, then making an
equal amount (to the sales profit) by servicing their dead crap? I'm
strongly guessing the latter. sigh

No, I think the evil *******s is pretty appropriate! On the other hand, it
may have just been ONE crappy relay. I bought a bunch of parts to put arc
suppressors on all the relays, but never did install them. So, there are
still 11 relays of two different types perking along merrily for the last 3+
years! I was expecting the rest of the relays to start failing, but that
hasn't happened.

Jon