Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Advice needed for protecting my gradfather's stuff...

My grandfather is a retired coal miner. He has an old car wash in his town that he converted to his shop. Has tools in it. Lots of his "projects" of his outside such as a loader, bulldozer, tractors etc that he intended to get going but ran out of time...

Hospice has been called in and he was taken to a nursing home basically to die. This town in Indiana where he lives is kind of depressed since the mine shut down. From what I understand lots of low lifes and meth heads. (I live about 3 hours away in Kentucky).

Well, just yesterday some low like stole a 1200 trailer of his and broke into his building and stole a bunch of stuff.

My mom is the executor of the estate and I will be going up there several times to take pictures of all his posessions to document everything.

My desire to weld, work on machinery and in general metalwork came from him.. I don't do it for a living, but as a hobby.

My questions is, is there anything I can do to protect/detour would be thieves from doing any more damage? The police have been notified, but it is a tiny town with only one Barney Fifth cop.

Any advice is appreciated.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped on Mon, 2 Nov 2015 15:45:21 -0800 (PST)
[...]

Talk to mom, see if you can move his stuff which you want, some
place more secure. Like to your place.
You do not have to wait until the old boy has passed on, to pass
on his "estate".

--
pyotr
Job creation and destruction are both relentless.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

[...]

+1 Just be sure there's a will in place and all for the eventuality and
that what is done regarding disposal is within its guidelines if there's
any issues of "who gets what" possible. If there's any question
assets for Medicaid or the like, disposal of assets by the spouse may
have consequences to be aware of, but other than those potential
pitfalls the general idea would be to protect what needs it.

There's always the minimal additional protection of the installation of
cameras, lighting, etc., around the property, of course, as some help.

I worked much of that coal country years ago in a former life supporting
online coal analyzers; got to know a lot of miners over those 10 year or
so from there thru E TN, KY, western VA, WVA as well as some in UT and
Saskatechwan. Good folk to work for/with...your grandfather woulda'
likely been one o' 'em.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, November 2, 2015 at 5:45:31 PM UTC-6, stryped wrote:
[...]

Thanks. He worked for "Big Ben" mine in southern Indiana. It was a strip pit mine. When they were done with an area they would turn it into a lake. Lots of great fishing in those deep strip pits.

Unfortunately, his only "will" states that everything is to go to probate. I guess that means it will be sold and divided between his 3 children. (of course I would think it would go to my grandmother first??)
Its sad because non of them want his stuff. They see it as junk and are just looking at money. I see it as potential projects. He has a 68 mustang convertible in a million pieces he had intended to restore that I really wanted.

We had a lot of the same tastes and hobbies. I was named after him. We are alike in a lot of ways. (Although one huge difference was he was brought up democrate, I was rebublican lol) It did not matter, we never talked about politics...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 11/03/2015 2:22 PM, stryped wrote:

Thanks. He worked for "Big Ben" mine in southern Indiana. It was a
strip pit mine. When they were done with an area they would turn it
into a lake. Lots of great fishing in those deep strip pits.

Ah...know the area but we didn't have any analyzers at any pit mines;
they didn't fit that kind of an operation. Prep plants and loadouts or
a few of the smaller independent mines used them to sort "clean coal"
from the rest to minimize the volume that had to be washed; that went
directly to the bottom line.

Unfortunately, his only "will" states that everything is to go to
probate. I guess that means it will be sold and divided between his 3
children. (of course I would think it would go to my grandmother
first??) Its sad because non of them want his stuff. They see it as
junk and are just looking at money. I see it as potential projects.
He has a 68 mustang convertible in a million pieces he had intended
to restore that I really wanted.

A will wouldn't normally state that; if there are assets the will would
go thru probate unless all was held in a trust or the like (the primary
reason individuals set such up is to avoid probate) but if it doesn't
allocate things to individuals then generally everything would indeed
first pass to a surviving spouse leaving it to her to subsequently make
the decision on her passing (or gifting earlier if chose).

Reading between the lines of the quotations around "will" makes it sound
as though there actually is no will of record or has been witnessed. In
that case indeed the rules of the State of Indiana would dictate the
distribution.

Sounds like time to cultivate the great aunts/uncles... Or, of
course, the grandmother on her own can gift the doting grandson who took
care of all this "stuff" for her whatever she sees fit... vbg

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2015 6:45 PM, stryped wrote:
My questions is, is there anything I can do to protect/detour would
be thieves from doing any more damage? The police have been notified,
but it is a tiny town with only one Barney Fifth cop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Get a tenant in there. Even if you work out a deal that he just
maintain the property and pay the taxes and utilities. Long term, sell
everything you and relatives don't want but have enough time that you
don't have to take scrap value.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 2:36:01 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:
[...]

--Thanks. I will say all this is new to us. My mom has power of Attorney and is getting with the banks, etc and paying everything.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 9:49:48 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
[...]

National Public Radio recently said that" "West Virginia has the nation's worst rate of drug overdose deaths", by the way.

-- http://wvpublic.org/topic/needle-and...eroin-epidemic
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, November 3, 2015 at 3:41:43 PM UTC-5, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 11/2/2015 6:45 PM, stryped wrote:
My questions is, is there anything I can do to protect/detour would
be thieves from doing any more damage? The police have been notified,
but it is a tiny town with only one Barney Fifth cop.

Any advice is appreciated.

Get a tenant in there. Even if you work out a deal that he just
maintain the property and pay the taxes and utilities. Long term, sell
everything you and relatives don't want but have enough time that you
don't have to take scrap value.

+1. Nothing like a physical presence to keep the riffraff out.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/2/2015 3:45 PM, stryped wrote:
[...]

Call the police, moron.