Junior Member

Default Grinders

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking to buy an electric grinder and I have finally came down to 2 options:

Metabo WEPBA17-125 110v Grinder (http://www.snapco.org/product/metabo_wepba_110v_grinder) and Metabo W18 LTX 5.2Amp Cordless Grinder (http://www.snapco.org/product/w18_lt...rdless_grinder)

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about them.

Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul Murphy wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking to buy an electric grinder and
I have finally came down to 2 options:

Metabo WEPBA17-125 110v Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/metabo_wepba_110v_grinder) and Metabo W18
LTX 5.2Amp Cordless Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/w18_lt...rdless_grinder)

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about them.

The metabo grinders are really nice tools. The feel, balance, fit and
finish are top notch and you pay dearly for that. The first one you listed
has all the frills like the vibration reduction, the standard soft start
and some sort of electric brake. Never seen the tooless disc change stuff
though- never seen it before. I've never struggled to change a disc, just
to find the wrench.

I've still not fully accepted cordless tools yet though and would be
worried about getting good batteries down the road on the cordless model,
and unless you need portability or have a system of tools that use the
same batteries, you'll be paying quite the premium to lose the cord. The
power is also lower too- they don't even spec it on the cordless models if
you get a matebo datasheet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 15:30:41 +0200, Paul Murphy
wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking to buy an electric grinder and
I have finally came down to 2 options:

Metabo WEPBA17-125 110v Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/metabo_wepba_110v_grinder) and Metabo W18
LTX 5.2Amp Cordless Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/w18_lt...rdless_grinder)

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about them.

Thanks

What is its usage going to be? A quick deburr and clean? Or some
serious use? Buy the cord model.

As a note..I love Metabo..but only..only buy Harbor Freight..and the
reason is...they last well enough..and I can buy 8 (minimum) of them
for the price of (1) Metabo

http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...der-91223.html

This is the new color..the previous ones were orange...same grinder.

My rational is I run through (1) grinder every 4-5 yrs..and I can set
up 3 grinders, one with a cup wire wheel, one with a medium flap wheel
and one with a heavy duty grinding wheel..all three of them will last
me 8 or more years, I dont need to keep changing media all the time,
just grab and plug it in, or grab it off the bench and use it (outlets
around my welding bench).

But if you only need (1)...the Metabos are beasts..powerful, tough,
rugged and marvelous grinders.

I dont trust cordless anything for something that may need to be used
hard and for long periods of time.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Shops around me buy the HF units by the case for the same reason. The
one shop buys them, pulls the gear cases open and cleans them out, adds
good synthetic gear grease. A quick check of the brushes and they get
put into service. Like the owner says, they work good enough to last a
couple years and they get dropped and bounced around, when one fails
they do grab any good parts.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Metabo are fine and expensive tools. For that reason I would not buy
the cordless. Being such a fine tool it will last forever. Certainly
long enough to need several new sets of batteries. Even if they are
available, battery technology will have changed and left your 2015
technology behind. You will then have a fine and obsolete tool.

I'm thinking that there must have been millions of Milwaukee (for
example) cordless drills, etc that were working perfectly but were
junked because their NiCad/NiMH batteries made them obsolete.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 10:17:04 AM UTC-4, Paul Murphy wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking to buy an electric grinder and
I have finally came down to 2 options:

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about them.

Thanks
--
Paul Murphy

My opinion is that the abrasive grinding wheel used is as important as the grinder. The Harbor Freight grinder with a good wheel will out perform the Metabo with a lousy wheel. I have gotten some really poor wheels and some good ones from Harbor Freight.

So I would recommend getting a Harbor freight grinder and some abrasive wheels some where else. Then if you find you use the grinder a lot, you might buy the Metabo grinder.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi everyone, I'm new here. I was looking to buy an electric grinder and
I have finally came down to 2 options:

Metabo WEPBA17-125 110v Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/metabo_wepba_110v_grinder) and Metabo W18
LTX 5.2Amp Cordless Grinder
(http://www.snapco.org/product/w18_lt...rdless_grinder)

Can anyone let me know their thoughts about them.

Thanks

Holey sh*t - 200+GBP for a 4 1/2" angle grinder! I paid ten bucks for
my first one and have added two used ones for five bucks since so that
I could have one each for cutting, grinding and wire brushhing. These
are pretty much throw away items unless you plan to use it more than a
five hours per week.

---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

grinders bite Steve B[_13_] Home Repair 22 October 31st 12 05:37 PM
Angle grinders anyone? Tony Bryer[_2_] UK diy 12 June 6th 11 01:25 PM
die grinders SteveB Metalworking 9 October 3rd 05 03:02 PM
Grinders Colin Jacobs Metalworking 13 March 8th 05 05:15 AM
grinders Vrstull Metalworking 6 December 29th 04 02:39 AM