Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Some interesting metalworking pictures

http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I kind of see their point, because those armored vehicles do not
look armed, just armored.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I also wanted to say, these pictures are so close to my heart, I love
those dilapidated brick buildings with bridge cranes, and dusty
machines with peeling paint, burst pipes, etc.

I am doing some work in one right now in Chicago.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 15 Sep 2015 21:52:16 -0500, Ignoramus5626

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I also wanted to say, these pictures are so close to my heart, I love
those dilapidated brick buildings with bridge cranes, and dusty
machines with peeling paint, burst pipes, etc.

I am doing some work in one right now in Chicago.

Yeah, lots of "character". I especially like the several inches of
dirt on the concrete floor at Azov. (What's that all about?)

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

That Ukrainian facility was never meant to be a precision job shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I also wanted to say, these pictures are so close to my heart, I love
those dilapidated brick buildings with bridge cranes, and dusty
machines with peeling paint, burst pipes, etc.

I am doing some work in one right now in Chicago.

Yeah, lots of "character". I especially like the several inches of
dirt on the concrete floor at Azov. (What's that all about?)

I do not think that there are several inches of dirt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I also wanted to say, these pictures are so close to my heart, I love
those dilapidated brick buildings with bridge cranes, and dusty
machines with peeling paint, burst pipes, etc.

I am doing some work in one right now in Chicago.

Yeah, lots of "character". I especially like the several inches of
dirt on the concrete floor at Azov. (What's that all about?)

I do not think that there are several inches of dirt.

Call it "dirt and debris"? Lower left of 1st and 3rd pictures. I
guess it's only 1/4" on the tank build floor, since we can still see
expansion joints.

I got to thinking about it and decided that if they cleaned the place
up and painted the machinery, the owner would probably double their
rent. Otherwise, they seem well motivated.

--
I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues.
--Duke Ellington

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Terry Coombs wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

Excellent ! "It's a tractor , the paperworks says so ."

I also wanted to say, these pictures are so close to my heart, I love
those dilapidated brick buildings with bridge cranes, and dusty
machines with peeling paint, burst pipes, etc.

I am doing some work in one right now in Chicago.

Come to Cleveland, plenty of old stuff here!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

That Ukrainian facility was never meant to be a precision job shop.

The definition of "Quality" is meeting the customer's requirements.
Aesthetics and precision beyond need only add cost.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 8:38:53 PM UTC-7, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

Jon

So is it your claim that this represents the typical machine shop in the Ukraine?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

That Ukrainian facility was never meant to be a precision job shop.

You were never meant to do precision machining.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-16, Jon Elson wrote:
jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

That Ukrainian facility was never meant to be a precision job shop.

The definition of "Quality" is meeting the customer's requirements.
Aesthetics and precision beyond need only add cost.

No, that's your definition.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/16/2015 2:51 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

The definition of "Quality" is meeting the customer's requirements.
Aesthetics and precision beyond need only add cost.

No, that's your definition.

I'm a student of Deming. Over-precision does not equal higher quality

http://metalcutting.com/your-tight-t...ing-part-cost/

"The good news is that there are many instances where looser tolerance
may be perfectly acceptable. If a tolerance is tighter than you really
need, you’ll end up paying for it. But by carefully considering the end
use, where the part is going, and what the part needs to do before
specifying a tight tolerance, you can distinguish between critical and
non-critical tolerances, and minimizing your cost of quality."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, September 16, 2015 at 2:19:16 PM UTC-7, Tom Gardner wrote:
On 9/16/2015 2:51 PM, jon_banquer wrote:

The definition of "Quality" is meeting the customer's requirements.
Aesthetics and precision beyond need only add cost.

No, that's your definition.

I'm a student of Deming. Over-precision does not equal higher quality

http://metalcutting.com/your-tight-t...ing-part-cost/

"The good news is that there are many instances where looser tolerance
may be perfectly acceptable. If a tolerance is tighter than you really
need, you'll end up paying for it. But by carefully considering the end
use, where the part is going, and what the part needs to do before
specifying a tight tolerance, you can distinguish between critical and
non-critical tolerances, and minimizing your cost of quality."

I accept your opinion and Demmings. I don't agree that it applies in all cases.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling leaded paint.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

jon_banquer wrote:

On Tuesday, September 15, 2015 at 6:13:17 PM UTC-7, Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

A sad ****ing joke.

This is what a modern machining job shop looks like:

http://www.pyramidprecision.com/

Well, you know, they ARE in a civil war right now, and the other side is
backed by the Russians! They are doing what they have to.

Jon

This change your mind at all?

http://www.techpilot.net/profiles/Li...html#Machinery
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling leaded paint.

Why, they are up-armoring vehicles in that shop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling leaded paint.

Why, they are up-armoring vehicles in that shop.

Where? I saw no pictures of people doing anything other than standing
still for a photo next to piles of rubble.

There's nothing in the photos that any real work other than big talk is
happening.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling leaded
paint.

Why, they are up-armoring vehicles in that shop.

Where? I saw no pictures of people doing anything other than
standing
still for a photo next to piles of rubble.

There's nothing in the photos that any real work other than big talk
is
happening.

Do you really think the presence of the camera crew has no effect?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling leaded
paint.

Why, they are up-armoring vehicles in that shop.

Where? I saw no pictures of people doing anything other than
standing
still for a photo next to piles of rubble.

There's nothing in the photos that any real work other than big talk
is
happening.

Do you really think the presence of the camera crew has no effect?

Effect on what? There's nothing going on in that place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
http://motherboard.vice.com/read/a-t...x-tank-factory

The only metalworking in those photos is rusting or peeling
leaded
paint.

Why, they are up-armoring vehicles in that shop.

Where? I saw no pictures of people doing anything other than
standing
still for a photo next to piles of rubble.

There's nothing in the photos that any real work other than big
talk
is
happening.

Do you really think the presence of the camera crew has no effect?

Effect on what? There's nothing going on in that place.

That's the effect!

The employees are probably all standing around behind the photographer
and watching, maybe hoping to be called on to pose or regretting they
didn't put on decent clothes that morning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus22966 wrote:
On 2015-09-17, Cydrome Leader wrote:
Ignoramus5626 wrote:
[...]

No. It's just not a shop that does precision work.