Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Ping Gummer: Q on rotary hammers, hex vs. SDS

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 28 Jul 2015 05:57:20 -0700 (PDT), Grokman Grokman
wrote:

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.

They're far more efficient for hammering, because the hammer drill
doesn't have to accelerate the chuck.

There were earlier types of sliding-shank bits, but SDS was the first
one that was really well engineered. They came out at about the time I
started at _American Machinist_, and I wrote a fairly long item about
them around that time, with performance data and comments from pros
who started using them.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.

A very good question indeed. No idea whatsoever. Ive got only (1)
functional SDS drill and it could have been a hex with no issues.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Grokman Grokman" wrote in message

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi
posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.

I wonder. My medium duty rotary hammer is SDS, and my heavier one is spline
drive. My dad's eletric jack hammer (heavier still) is hex.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Why did rotary hammer bits go from hex to SDS?
Seems like change for profit$ sake, but maybe there's a real reason.
Other dickless sages, like the worthless Whoyakidding and his castradi posse, are of course free to (worthlessly) chime in.

A very good question indeed. No idea whatsoever. Ive got only (1)
functional SDS drill and it could have been a hex with no issues.

Dunno. I've never had an SDS driver. It may have been for the
retention, though. How are the hex bits retained?

--
My desire to be well-informed is currently
at odds with my desire to remain sane. --Sipkess

mrs. gummer and young gummer dwieber jr. Ed Huntress Metalworking 0 January 3rd 12 06:04 PM
Ping Gummer Don Foreman Metalworking 12 April 12th 09 02:32 PM
Ping Gummer Pittman Pirate Metalworking 0 April 9th 09 02:00 AM
Ping Gummer Alex B. Graham Metalworking 3 November 18th 08 06:53 AM
* * * PING: Cliff URL for Gummer Nuclear War to begin June 12 2008 Own Metalworking 0 June 14th 08 11:33 AM