Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Swamp Cooler driving friends nuts

Hi All,

Neighbor called me over to look at his new swamp cooler as the motor is making a lot of noise. We took the fan belt off and the noise level didn't change at either speed. It's a loud humming droning noise that seems to be about the resonant frequency of drywall-walls as we can hear it throughout the house.

We mounted the entire cooler on strips of foam rubber so nothing is touching any thing solid to transmit the noise. Still it persists unabated.

Is there any point in pulling the motor apart and seeing if we can make it hum less?

If so, what would we be looking for?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:08:58 PM UTC-4, Dave, I can't do that wrote:
Hi All,

Neighbor called me over to look at his new swamp cooler as the motor is making a lot of noise. We took the fan belt off and the noise level didn't change at either speed. It's a loud humming droning noise that seems to be about the resonant frequency of drywall-walls as we can hear it throughout the house.

We mounted the entire cooler on strips of foam rubber so nothing is touching any thing solid to transmit the noise. Still it persists unabated.

Is there any point in pulling the motor apart and seeing if we can make it hum less?

If so, what would we be looking for?

Dave

It sounds as if the motor is out of balance. Does the motor drive the fan directly?

Anyway you might put a mark on the motor shaft and then give the motor a spin and see if it steps in about the same place. That would indicate the motor is out of balance. Then add weight to get it so the motor has no preference where it stops.

If that is not enough improvement , Take a look at " Orthoganol balancing - twinwheel grinders " back in 09. It is a really good thread started by Jim Pentagrid. He goes into how to use a small computer speaker as a vibration sensor, And how to do a really good job of balancing.

Dan

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:08:55 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi All,

Neighbor called me over to look at his new swamp cooler as the motor is making a lot of noise. We took the fan belt off and the noise level didn't change at either speed. It's a loud humming droning noise that seems to be about the resonant frequency of drywall-walls as we can hear it throughout the house.

We mounted the entire cooler on strips of foam rubber so nothing is touching any thing solid to transmit the noise. Still it persists unabated.

Is there any point in pulling the motor apart and seeing if we can make it hum less?

If so, what would we be looking for?

Dave

Has it got a run capacitor?

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Hi All,

Neighbor called me over to look at his new swamp cooler as the motor is making a lot of noise. We took the fan belt off and the noise level didn't change at either speed. It's a loud humming droning noise that seems to be about the resonant frequency of drywall-walls as we can hear it throughout the house.

We mounted the entire cooler on strips of foam rubber so nothing is touching any thing solid to transmit the noise. Still it persists unabated.

Is there any point in pulling the motor apart and seeing if we can make it hum less?

If so, what would we be looking for?

Dave

Has it got a run capacitor?

Very good hint, Sphehro!

Though to be fair..if the motor is noisy..take the motor to the place
one bought the swamp cooler and exchange it for a good one. It should
still be under warranty. Even Chicom motors are better than that.

Gunner, who replaces a 3/4hp swamp cooler motor every 3 yrs at home..

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 1:10:35 PM UTC-7, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Has it got a run capacitor?

Thanks Spehro, but no. Can't find anything in the parts list and no obvious lump on the motor.

Label says
HP 13/- 1/10 Type S
RPM 1725/1140 SF 1.0
V 115 A 6.1/3.7
Hz 60 AMB 40C
FR 56Z Code S
TIME Cont HSG Open

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

take the motor to the place

Thanks Gunner, it is three days old, so yes, probably still under warranty. Although one never knows about warranties these days.

They got it from Homedepot, so not sure if they will swap it out. I'll tell him to give them a call.

I have a 1/hp motor from a BD920 lathe and I could probably make a mount to fit but only single speed, but it is almost silent. I wonder if a treadmill motor and speed controller might work. I had/have... (I think) one of those too. Might not like the damp climate inside the swamp-case though.

Thoughts? Anyone?

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 24 Jun 2015 07:55:01 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 2:41:38 PM UTC-7, Gunner Asch wrote:

take the motor to the place

Thanks Gunner, it is three days old, so yes, probably still under warranty. Although one never knows about warranties these days.

They got it from Homedepot, so not sure if they will swap it out. I'll tell him to give them a call.

They'll want the entire unit back, but if it looks like you've been
inside, it might void the warranty.

I have a 1/hp motor from a BD920 lathe and I could probably make a mount to fit but only single speed, but it is almost silent. I wonder if a treadmill motor and speed controller might work. I had/have... (I think) one of those too. Might not like the damp climate inside the swamp-case though.

Thoughts? Anyone?

You're probably right about the motor not liking the moist interior.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Problem solved. They called HD who did not hesitate to say bring it back even though the swamp was sold as a complete window-mount unit with the motor already in it.

New motor is an EC brand. About 1/4 lighter in weight, draws fewer actual Amps when running and is whisper quiet. The wind noise is now louder.

New respect for HD.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Jun 2015 15:05:38 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Problem solved. They called HD who did not hesitate to say bring it back even though the swamp was sold as a complete window-mount unit with the motor already in it.

New motor is an EC brand. About 1/4 lighter in weight, draws fewer actual Amps when running and is whisper quiet. The wind noise is now louder.

New respect for HD.

Dave

While a "corporate giant"...they do take good care of the customer.

Lowes is equally as good.

Glad to see you have the problem taken care of.

Gunner, who has been running a 6500 CFM swap cooler for over a month
so far.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Problem solved. They called HD who did not hesitate to say bring it back even though the swamp was sold as a complete window-mount unit with the motor already in it.

New motor is an EC brand. About 1/4 lighter in weight, draws fewer actual Amps when running and is whisper quiet. The wind noise is now louder.

New respect for HD.

You lucked out. Congrats. Ditto the new respect for HD.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Problem solved. They called HD who did not hesitate to say bring it back even though the swamp was sold as a complete window-mount unit with the motor already in it.

New motor is an EC brand. About 1/4 lighter in weight, draws fewer actual Amps when running and is whisper quiet. The wind noise is now louder.

New respect for HD.

Dave

While a "corporate giant"...they do take good care of the customer.

Lowes is equally as good.

Glad to see you have the problem taken care of.

Gunner, who has been running a 6500 CFM swap cooler for over a month
so far.

You had just put a new motor in your old one the first time I came
down there to Taft, and we ran to Tractor Supply to find a pulley,
IIRC.

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Problem solved. They called HD who did not hesitate to say bring it back even though the swamp was sold as a complete window-mount unit with the motor already in it.

New motor is an EC brand. About 1/4 lighter in weight, draws fewer actual Amps when running and is whisper quiet. The wind noise is now louder.

New respect for HD.

Dave

While a "corporate giant"...they do take good care of the customer.

Lowes is equally as good.

Glad to see you have the problem taken care of.

Gunner, who has been running a 6500 CFM swap cooler for over a month
so far.

You had just put a new motor in your old one the first time I came
down there to Taft, and we ran to Tractor Supply to find a pulley,
IIRC.

Ayup. THey go out about every 3-4 yrs. At $100 a motor..it does get
somewhet expensive. Im now running a TEFC type sealed motor. 3/4hp
that I picked up for $25

I wonder how long this will last.....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

If the others weren't sealed, I'd expect this one to last a wee bit
longer, wouldn't you?

--
Find out what people will submit to, and you have found out the
exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed on them.
--Frederick Douglass
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I would certainly hope so.

Cleaning swamp cooler KenK Home Repair 6 March 15th 18 05:00 AM
Swamp Cooler Algae coolerdoctor Home Repair 1 August 31st 06 03:10 AM
Should I consider a swamp cooler? [email protected] Home Repair 17 June 18th 05 11:06 AM
Swamp cooler question SteveB Metalworking 31 May 24th 05 03:28 AM