Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Swamp Cooler driving friends nuts

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 16:12:49 -0400, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015 11:08:55 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi All,

Neighbor called me over to look at his new swamp cooler as the motor is making a lot of noise. We took the fan belt off and the noise level didn't change at either speed. It's a loud humming droning noise that seems to be about the resonant frequency of drywall-walls as we can hear it throughout the house.

We mounted the entire cooler on strips of foam rubber so nothing is touching any thing solid to transmit the noise. Still it persists unabated.

Is there any point in pulling the motor apart and seeing if we can make it hum less?

If so, what would we be looking for?

Dave

Has it got a run capacitor?

Very good hint, Sphehro!

Though to be fair..if the motor is noisy..take the motor to the place
one bought the swamp cooler and exchange it for a good one. It should
still be under warranty. Even Chicom motors are better than that.

Gunner, who replaces a 3/4hp swamp cooler motor every 3 yrs at home..