Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another question for the lapidarians among us

I just saw in the "cutting thin tiny glass parts" thread that there seems to
be a few lapidarians here. So I have another question:

I have a glass lid for a kitchen baking pan that has a flaked chip on one
edge, and I'd like to figure out a way to smooth it so that my wife wouldn't
have to throw it out. I thought I'd take a Dremel tool and some suitable
abrasive and smooth it and then try to polish it a bit. What kind of
abrasive would be good for that?

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , tdacon
wrote:

I just saw in the "cutting thin tiny glass parts" thread that there seems to
be a few lapidarians here. So I have another question:

I have a glass lid for a kitchen baking pan that has a flaked chip on one
edge, and I'd like to figure out a way to smooth it so that my wife wouldn't
have to throw it out. I thought I'd take a Dremel tool and some suitable
abrasive and smooth it and then try to polish it a bit. What kind of
abrasive would be good for that?

Diamond files from Harbor Freight.

Wet-dry (black) sandpaper on a dowel also works.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:55:13 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

I just saw in the "cutting thin tiny glass parts" thread that there seems to
be a few lapidarians here. So I have another question:

I have a glass lid for a kitchen baking pan that has a flaked chip on one
edge, and I'd like to figure out a way to smooth it so that my wife wouldn't
have to throw it out. I thought I'd take a Dremel tool and some suitable
abrasive and smooth it and then try to polish it a bit. What kind of
abrasive would be good for that?

Tom

Just get a piece of wet or dry 600 grit sandpaper and use that. You
could start with something coarser but then you would need to buy more
sheets. Wrap some around a pencil or pen, wet the stuff, and sand
away. With the dremel you could use a diamond point but the cheap ones
are usually pretty coarse and may cause more chipping. A good diamond
point would be fine. Don't get the glass hot. I know, it's a baking
pan that can withstand lots of heat, but it is just good practice for
when you are doing this on some other more friable glass. I use water
running across the work when I use high speed tools and diamond points
on glass. You can also use rubberized abrasive points, Cratex being
the most common brand name. Use light pressure, don't crowd the work.
A couple weeks ago I cut several curved surface discs, about .750
diameter and .030 thick, from a black light light bulb. I used a
diamond abrasive charged bronze cylinder to do the work. In this case
I used light oil, kerosene really, as the lubricant because the
diamond paste I used is oil soluble. I got three good parts out of 4
tries.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 12:39:19 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"tdacon" wrote in message
I just saw in the "cutting thin tiny glass parts" thread that there
seems to be a few lapidarians here. So I have another question:

I have a glass lid for a kitchen baking pan that has a flaked chip
on one edge, and I'd like to figure out a way to smooth it so that
my wife wouldn't have to throw it out. I thought I'd take a Dremel
tool and some suitable abrasive and smooth it and then try to polish
it a bit. What kind of abrasive would be good for that?

Tom

Black sandpaper.

+1. I'd avoid the dremel or other hard bits with glass. It likes to
shatter pretty easily and a hard stone could hit just the right freq
to shatter it.

Chuck a 3/8 dowel in your VSR with wod sandpaper on it. Quick fix.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well if you want to lap something I'd use some diamond knife sharpeners
sold at Harbor Freight. I'd try some before you buy a bunch. Low cost.

A good water based oil is best - Or do it under water with the lap.

I cut and faceted sapphire 50 years ago - well maybe 49.

Martin

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wow, great responses. Thanks for your help.

Tom