Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Another question for the lapidarians among us

On Fri, 12 Jun 2015 08:55:13 -0700, "tdacon"
wrote:

I just saw in the "cutting thin tiny glass parts" thread that there seems to
be a few lapidarians here. So I have another question:

I have a glass lid for a kitchen baking pan that has a flaked chip on one
edge, and I'd like to figure out a way to smooth it so that my wife wouldn't
have to throw it out. I thought I'd take a Dremel tool and some suitable
abrasive and smooth it and then try to polish it a bit. What kind of
abrasive would be good for that?

Tom

Just get a piece of wet or dry 600 grit sandpaper and use that. You
could start with something coarser but then you would need to buy more
sheets. Wrap some around a pencil or pen, wet the stuff, and sand
away. With the dremel you could use a diamond point but the cheap ones
are usually pretty coarse and may cause more chipping. A good diamond
point would be fine. Don't get the glass hot. I know, it's a baking
pan that can withstand lots of heat, but it is just good practice for
when you are doing this on some other more friable glass. I use water
running across the work when I use high speed tools and diamond points
on glass. You can also use rubberized abrasive points, Cratex being
the most common brand name. Use light pressure, don't crowd the work.
A couple weeks ago I cut several curved surface discs, about .750
diameter and .030 thick, from a black light light bulb. I used a
diamond abrasive charged bronze cylinder to do the work. In this case
I used light oil, kerosene really, as the lubricant because the
diamond paste I used is oil soluble. I got three good parts out of 4
tries.
Eric