Old June 4th 15, 07:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair dent in aluminum MacBook laptop?

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.
It's some kind of drawn aluminum can...I think...
Model number suggests it's not the titanium model.

Here's what it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/ApOjfl4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yRQFVR1.jpg

Hope the image links work.

I can, with considerable difficulty, remove the guts and the
casting around the battery hole.
But there are still some brackets welded to the aluminum
on both sides of the corner.

I can fabricate some wooden forms to recreate the corner.
First question is, "should I try to press it into shape,
or ballistically deform it with a hammer?"

Other suggestions?

It's not worth spending any money to do this.
It's just a learning opportunity.

Old June 4th 15, 02:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:19:07 -0700, mike wrote:

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.
It's some kind of drawn aluminum can...I think...
Model number suggests it's not the titanium model.

Here's what it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/ApOjfl4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yRQFVR1.jpg

Hope the image links work.

I can, with considerable difficulty, remove the guts and the
casting around the battery hole.
But there are still some brackets welded to the aluminum
on both sides of the corner.

I can fabricate some wooden forms to recreate the corner.
First question is, "should I try to press it into shape,
or ballistically deform it with a hammer?"

Other suggestions?

It's not worth spending any money to do this.
It's just a learning opportunity.

You might want to anneal that corner before you try to take the dent
out. I find that often when aluminum is formed that there is some work
hardening and it is useful to soften the aluminum. It is easy to do,
just paint the area with a marker - permanent or white board - and
then heat the area with a torch until the marker goes away. Don't get
excited and decide that if a little heat is good more might be better,
it isn't, but it isn't rocket science either.

Then I would either press or pound the dent out. Some kind of dolly
and planishing hammer might be a good scheme but a smooth ball peen
will probably work.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old June 4th 15, 03:18 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , mike
wrote:

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.
It's some kind of drawn aluminum can...I think...
Model number suggests it's not the titanium model.

Here's what it looks like.

http://i.imgur.com/ApOjfl4.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/yRQFVR1.jpg

Hope the image links work.

I can, with considerable difficulty, remove the guts and the
casting around the battery hole.
But there are still some brackets welded to the aluminum
on both sides of the corner.

I can fabricate some wooden forms to recreate the corner.
First question is, "should I try to press it into shape,
or ballistically deform it with a hammer?"

Other suggestions?

It's not worth spending any money to do this.
It's just a learning opportunity.

There is a standard way to fix such problems in hollowware (such as
silver bowls and pitchers) and to make hollowware called "chasing".

Basically, one hammers a blunt tool into the sheet metal, which is
resting on a bed of pitch. No special tooling is used.

In your case, the frame corner would be pushed by hand into warm pitch,
which would then be allowed to cool. Then, working from the inside of
the frame, the corner would be pushed out by hammering a rounded
hardwood dowel into the corner, stretching it back roughly into place.

I learned this in a course on making jewelry. The textbook was
"Metalwork for Craftsmen" by Emil Kronquist, Dover 1972.

Joe Gwinn
Old June 4th 15, 04:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:06:17 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

It is easy to do,
just paint the area with a marker - permanent or white board - and
then heat the area with a torch until the marker goes away.

Interesting - i'd never heard of using a marker as a heat indicator. Any idea what temperature that "vanishing point" would indicate?

I've always used these: http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilstik-original/
Old June 4th 15, 04:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 4 Jun 2015 07:47:39 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck
wrote:

On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:06:17 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

It is easy to do,
just paint the area with a marker - permanent or white board - and
then heat the area with a torch until the marker goes away.

Interesting - i'd never heard of using a marker as a heat indicator. Any idea what temperature that "vanishing point" would indicate?

I've always used these: http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilstik-original/

I don't know the temperature for markers, but this is a variation on
the method used in aluminum bodywork for most of a century.

If you have to work out a dent, you strip the paint, like you would
with steel bodywork, and then you take your O/A torch and light it
with no oxygen. You then play the sooty flame over the aluminum,
giving it a thin coat of soot.

You then turn on the oxygen and heat the aluminum until the soot just
burns off. This is something typically done with a rosebud torch.

It's not very accurate, but it's good enough to anneal the aluminum
sifficiently to work it with a hammer and dolly -- or a slapper and
dolly, more typically with aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress

Old June 4th 15, 06:31 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

[...]

I just recently made a similar repair to my iPad. I dropped it and the
corner deformed to the point that the glass broke. Anyway, I took
everything apart to replace the glass and used a small tool I made
from a small flat blade screwdriver to pound the corner back out. I
rounded the end of the screwdriver blade, which was about 3/16" wide,
such that the end is now a section of a thin disc. The radius of this
disc section is slightly less than the radius of the corner. I then
braced the aluminum case with some resilient material and made several
taps on the handle end of the screwdriver while the tool was engaged
with the work. I thought, before opening it up, that the iPad case
was drawn or stamped aluminum but it is actually machined, there are
cutter marks visible in many places and even some chatter marks. You
want the aluminum to move every time you hit the screwdriver, too
light a hit will start to harden the metal and it may crack. I used a
small ball pein hammer that Starret sells which has a magnifying lens
in the hammer head, it was the perfect weight. But any small hammer
will do. The trick is to always move the metal with each hit and to
complete the job with as few hits as possible.
Eric
Old June 4th 15, 06:35 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 19:06:12 +0700, John B.
wrote:

[...]

It's an APPLE. carve out a negative of the case, with the repaired
corner, out of some strong material. Put half an oz or so of C4 in the
case, clamp the negative mold tightly anround the case and detonate.
That should push the dent out - and since APPLE equipment is so
extra-ordinarily robust, it shouldn't do any harm to the computer ---
(tongue firmly planted in cheek)
Old June 4th 15, 06:54 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"rangerssuck" wrote in message
On Thursday, June 4, 2015 at 8:06:17 AM UTC-4, John B. wrote:

It is easy to do,
just paint the area with a marker - permanent or white board - and
then heat the area with a torch until the marker goes away.

Interesting - i'd never heard of using a marker as a heat indicator.
Any idea what temperature that "vanishing point" would indicate?

I've always used these:
http://www.tempil.com/products/tempilstik-original/

Supposedly around 800F, which isn't too far below the
(alloy-dependent) melting point. Aluminum melts without glowing red,
so don't heat it much past that vanishing point or you'll reach
another one.

I'd practice on a piece of 6061 sheet first, especially if you don't
have hands-on experience forming metals that work-harden and crack.

-jsw

Old June 4th 15, 07:57 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Wilkins wrote:
[...]

Chances are that the case was drawn/stamped in a single op , if so
work-hardening shouldn't be a problem .

--
Snag

dent repair [email protected] Woodworking 10 April 20th 12 01:09 PM
Anyone Owns A MacBook Pro? tkmy UK diy 0 June 24th 09 09:06 AM
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, LaptopRepairing Service London [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 08:38 AM
Auto dent repair kit/s opinion Joe Home Repair 6 June 9th 05 05:02 PM
Laptop LCD Repair John Q Electronics Repair 2 August 9th 03 03:24 PM