Old June 5th 15, 05:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Repair dent in aluminum MacBook laptop?

On 2015-06-04, wrote:
On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:19:07 -0700, mike wrote:

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.

[ ... ]

rounded the end of the screwdriver blade, which was about 3/16" wide,
such that the end is now a section of a thin disc. The radius of this
disc section is slightly less than the radius of the corner. I then
braced the aluminum case with some resilient material and made several
taps on the handle end of the screwdriver while the tool was engaged

[ ... ]

I used a
small ball pein hammer that Starret sells which has a magnifying lens
in the hammer head, it was the perfect weight.

That's their "Toolmaker's Hammer". Its intended function is
placing the point of a center punch properly relative to the
intersection of scribed lines using the magnifying glass, and then
striking the center punch to mark for drilling. (Depending on the size
of drill intended, you may want to follow up with a heavier center punch
and hammer, but you can find the previous mark by feel at this point, so
no need for another magnifier. :-)

The single page "manual" accompanying the hammer is fun to read,
too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
(too) near Washington D.C. |

Old June 5th 15, 06:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 11:33:40 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:19:07 -0700, mike wrote:

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.
It's some kind of drawn aluminum can...I think...
Model number suggests it's not the titanium model.

There is a mantra for repairing old MacBooks that reads a bit like the
classic recipe for cooking Tofu:

1) Throw the Tofu in the garbage
2) Buy some meat.

Much the same treatment works well for MacBooks.

+1

--
It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Old June 5th 15, 03:51 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Thu, 04 Jun 2015 11:33:40 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

On Wed, 03 Jun 2015 22:19:07 -0700, mike wrote:

I have an old MacBook aluminum laptop that got dropped on a corner.
I'd like to beat the dent out of it so the lid will close properly.
It's some kind of drawn aluminum can...I think...
Model number suggests it's not the titanium model.

There is a mantra for repairing old MacBooks that reads a bit like the
classic recipe for cooking Tofu:

1) Throw the Tofu in the garbage
2) Buy some meat.

Much the same treatment works well for MacBooks.

+1

I like Apple computers. I use them for doorstops. They work great,
after you fill them with concrete.

dent repair [email protected] Woodworking 10 April 20th 12 01:09 PM
Anyone Owns A MacBook Pro? tkmy UK diy 0 June 24th 09 09:06 AM
Notebook, Laptop Repair Company London, PC Computer Repair, LaptopRepairing Service London [email protected] Electronics Repair 0 December 10th 07 08:38 AM
Auto dent repair kit/s opinion Joe Home Repair 6 June 9th 05 05:02 PM
Laptop LCD Repair John Q Electronics Repair 2 August 9th 03 03:24 PM