Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default broaching stainless steel bar

I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

--
posted from
http://www.polytechforum.com/metalwo...ar-613582-.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"MATHSMAN" wrote in
message oups.com...
I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a
lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it
now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tn/H...navid=12106096

Can you drill an oversized hole and clamp the bit between two nuts?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 26 Apr 2015 21:18:02 +0000, MATHSMAN
wrote:

I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

Here's what a guy on you tube did
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7n1r5XfVkyk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, April 26, 2015 at 5:18:04 PM UTC-4, MATHSMAN wrote:
I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

Stainless is a bit more difficult to machine than regular steel. It generally needs more clearanaces, slower speeds and heavier cuts. My guess is with a broach made for steel, you are likely to break the broach using it on stainless.

You could kludge up an electric discharge machine. Another guy and I did that a long time ago.

Just did a search on EDM DIY and found a number of sites with info.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I need to cut a square hole through a stainless bolt, using it as a lathe
tool holder.I have drilled bolt no problem with Cobalt drills. Is it now
down to a lot of work with taper files or can I BROACH IT?

I have the perfect tool for that, a square drill, but you're using the
wrong material. http://tinyurl.com/k45cujk

--
"I believe there are more instances of the abridgment of the freedom
of the people by gradual and silent encroachments of those in power
--James Madison, Virginia Convention, June 16, 1788

STAINLESS STEEL ? No Name Home Repair 14 March 24th 10 09:19 PM
Stainless steel nuts galling on stainless steel bolts spaco Metalworking 15 April 12th 06 06:02 PM
stainless steel kklein Metalworking 7 September 5th 04 04:54 AM
Appliances-Brushed steel Vs Stainless steel DIY Novice UK diy 7 August 24th 04 06:44 PM
Stainless Steel Ricardo Metalworking 4 August 9th 03 03:07 AM