Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metrology collection...

I was trying to find a particular dial test indicator yesterday and
got ****ed off cause I couldnt find it..so dragged everything out,
layed it out and took photos of it. Its not all own..I put the
camera away and found 5 more items including a mint pair of 6 & 8"
Miti vernier calipers. Ill add them next weekend. Including my bench
centers...

Just thought Id show off the crap Ive collected over the past 10 or so
years

https://picasaweb.google.com/1040422...602/Metrology#

Oh..anybody have a 8-9" mic..Id swap it for one of the (2) 6-7 Mity
mics I have.

Anyone know the proper way to calibrate the mechanical digital mics?
Several of mine are off a thou or so. Handle reads properly but the
mechanical digital are off a digit or two. I seldom trust the
mechanical readouts..but its nice to have em match.

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

On most of the ones I own you take the mic and a standard as required,
set the mic barrel to that. Lock the thimble, then remove the front
magnifier glass from the digital read. Inside you will see two screws,
Loosen them enough that the number dial slides down. That will disengage
the gears. Now rotate the top drive gear gently till you are at zero.
Now reengage the gear and tighten the dial screws. Unlock the spindle
and test. If you're at zero and zero on the body. Replace the cover and
you're done. I usually strip, clean and calibrate mine yearly (or sooner
if they suddenly jump as that generally means it has crud in it).

--
Steve W.