Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Forklift hydraulics only works when I step on gas? WTF?

I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus24975" wrote in
message ...
I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed,
the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say,
lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

The pump is worn?

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 13 Mar 2015 05:58:06 -0500, Ignoramus24975
wrote:

I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Clutch in the pump drive?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24975 fired this volley in
:

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

There might be a clutch or a motor-speed operated relief valve, to prevent
lugging at low rpms.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Ummmm.... actually, I failed to ask the very first question anyone should
ever ask: Did it ever work differently than this?

Lloyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-03-13, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Ummmm.... actually, I failed to ask the very first question anyone should
ever ask: Did it ever work differently than this?

It never worked differently for me, I bought it only 3 months ago from
a closed plant.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus24975 fired this volley in
:

It never worked differently for me, I bought it only 3 months ago from
a closed plant.

Well... then maybe it's a "feature" instead of a problem.

Lloyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

I wonder if it has a hydraulic pump keyed to engine rpm, or a pump
which is leaking so badly at low rpms, it can't perform. Ask CAT if
you don't have a manual for it which states something like that.

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Replace the pump or increase the drive ratio.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 3:58:12 AM UTC-7, Ignoramus24975 wrote:
I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Scrap it. It's what you do best.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 13, 2015 at 6:58:12 AM UTC-4, Ignoramus24975 wrote:
I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Most of my experience is with 36 volt electric forklifts 4+ decades ago in the USN. But more recently (1-3 decades) I used LP-fueled ones occasionally in moving lab machinery at the school where I taught.

In my experience, it is entirely normal for an engine driven hydraulic system to respond sluggishly at idle, since the pump speed is proportional to crank speed. This results in low flow volume, and less output pressure. It was normal for me to shift to neutral and step on the gas to get faster / more hydraulic response from the school's forklifts. Especially loaded, the hydraulics moved quite slowly at idle. These were not high-hour machines, so I assume they were functioning as designed.

My guess, going from minimal info, you're seeing the effect of wear on the pump and maybe valve spools. But check your fluid level, and look around for a spin-on hydraulic fluid filter. If there's one, replace. If you're anal about it, send an oil sample for analysis.

You might also do a simple leak-down test. Pick up a load at at least 1/2 capacity, switch off, and see if it descends slowly. This'll give you an idea of the general condition of the hydraulics. If it stays up reasonably well, you don't have much wear (but don't get under a load, ever).

Jim H.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I have one forklift (Cat TC60C).

The forklift drives and works in general. However, at idle speed, the
hydraulics does not work at all -- I have to step on gas to, say, lift
the forks or tilt.

I do not really understand how that could be the case, any ideas?

Relief valve is set too low.

PJ O'Rourke