Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coating for acid exposure?

I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can. Carboline epoxy paint over a zinc rich primer comes to mind but I was wondering if something like the urethane bed liner would hold up to the acid exposure. Anyone ever try something like this to protect from acids?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerry" wrote in message
I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and
gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame
with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can. Carboline
epoxy paint over a zinc rich primer comes to mind but I was wondering if
something like the urethane bed liner would hold up to the acid exposure.
Anyone ever try something like this to protect from acids?

Contact Rhino and Line-X and ask them.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 11 Mar 2015 15:04:10 -0700 (PDT), Gerry
wrote:

I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can. Carboline epoxy paint over a zinc rich primer comes to mind but I was wondering if something like the urethane bed liner would hold up to the acid exposure. Anyone ever try something like this to protect from acids?

SWAG: Porcelainize the exposed parts, since nitric doesn't eat glass?
Lesser acids would be easier to protect against, but WTH. Maybe this
link will get you further in your search.
http://www.porcelain-industries.com/porcelain-coatings

--
Stoop and you'll be stepped on;
stand tall and you'll be shot at.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 3:04:13 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can.

What comes to mind are Teflon (PTFE) or silicone. If you are dealing with strong acids,
there should be a fume hood and controlled airflow, to limit fumes and remove
any droplets in air suspension.

Glass is attacked by HF, and stainless will rust if exposed to HNO3, most paints
are attacked by H2SO4...

It's possible to get Teflon heat-shrink tubing, or silicone hose, in a variety
of diameters.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

whit3rd wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 3:04:13 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and
gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame
with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can.

What comes to mind are Teflon (PTFE) or silicone. If you are dealing
with strong acids, there should be a fume hood and controlled airflow, to
limit fumes and remove any droplets in air suspension.

Glass is attacked by HF, and stainless will rust if exposed to HNO3, most
paints are attacked by H2SO4...

It's possible to get Teflon heat-shrink tubing, or silicone hose, in a
variety of diameters.

Heat shrink would just conceal the corrosion, unless you can guarantee
a hermetic seal. I'd guess some sort of epoxy paint, or maybe even enamel,
very heavily applied and maybe a couple coats, would probably be better.

There probably are specialty coatings for this sort of environment.

Jon

clapboard exposure George Home Repair 10 September 4th 13 10:01 PM
Short exposure? John Rumm UK diy 3 August 26th 12 09:57 PM
UV exposure times for a PCB Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 29 April 15th 12 09:21 PM
PEX UV exposure JIMMIE Home Repair 1 December 13th 09 05:13 AM
Pex UV Exposure Concerns [email protected] Home Repair 7 May 23rd 07 12:38 PM