Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Coating for acid exposure?

whit3rd wrote:

On Wednesday, March 11, 2015 at 3:04:13 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
I have a job rebuilding a bottle filling machine used to fill quart and
gallon bottles with various acids. Need something to coat the steel frame
with to try to prevent as much corrosion as I reasonably can.

What comes to mind are Teflon (PTFE) or silicone. If you are dealing
with strong acids, there should be a fume hood and controlled airflow, to
limit fumes and remove any droplets in air suspension.

Glass is attacked by HF, and stainless will rust if exposed to HNO3, most
paints are attacked by H2SO4...

It's possible to get Teflon heat-shrink tubing, or silicone hose, in a
variety of diameters.

Heat shrink would just conceal the corrosion, unless you can guarantee
a hermetic seal. I'd guess some sort of epoxy paint, or maybe even enamel,
very heavily applied and maybe a couple coats, would probably be better.

There probably are specialty coatings for this sort of environment.

Jon