Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Halfway decent score...

Under new ownership, things are really getting cleaned up at work. A LOT
of stuff has been going into the scrap bin, most of which I just have to
sigh, and let go. But recently I saw a small air compressor in the bin.
Plastic wheels broken off but otherwise all there. Hauled it out,
plugged it in, and it worked! Then noticed no oil in the compressor
inspection window, so shut it down. It hadn't made any unusual noises,
so went ahead and made up some steel wheels, and today finally had time
to go get a hose and some fittings, and compressor oil.
Sucker works great, nice and quiet. Ought to hold me over until I get
some machinery in here and need a spray mist!

Also found an old but solid, cast steel vise. Needs some TLC, but the
price is right until I get my 6" Starrett machinist bench vise here and
mounted...

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 08 Mar 2015 19:20:58 +1100, Jon Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Is it one of those superlative Aussie made Dawn vises?

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 3/8/2015 8:56 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:

Is it one of those superlative Aussie made Dawn vises?

I wish... though I already have two very nice vises (7700 miles away...)
Forget the model number, but it's a discontinued Starrett 6" machinist's
bench vise, with the swiveling back jaw, and a 4" Cardinal vise with the
the undercut thread lead screw. Back off half a turn, lift, slide jaw.
But I still want an offset jaw Dawn vise!

Jon