Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

O.B.

Default Over door latch only slides halfway

We have a GE self cleaning oven and we are attempting to engage the self
cleaning mechanism. But for some reason, the "clean" latch on the door
will only slide halfway. Is there some trick to get it to slide all the
way to the right?

Christopher Green

"O.B." wrote in message ...
We have a GE self cleaning oven and we are attempting to engage the self
cleaning mechanism. But for some reason, the "clean" latch on the door
will only slide halfway. Is there some trick to get it to slide all the
way to the right?

Could be that that's all the farther it slides. I had an old, old GE
that worked that way, and the Whirlpool I have now does the same.

If the door is latched tight in that position, and the clean cycle
isn't locked out, then it's working as designed.

--
Chris Green
O.B.

Christopher Green wrote:
"O.B." wrote in message ...

We have a GE self cleaning oven and we are attempting to engage the self
cleaning mechanism. But for some reason, the "clean" latch on the door
will only slide halfway. Is there some trick to get it to slide all the
way to the right?

Could be that that's all the farther it slides. I had an old, old GE
that worked that way, and the Whirlpool I have now does the same.

If the door is latched tight in that position, and the clean cycle
isn't locked out, then it's working as designed.

When I slide it as far as it can go (halfway) and release, it bounces
back to the left ... never latching the door. The previous owner (our
parents) mentioned that the knobs had to be set to "clean" before moving
the switch. We've done that. Is there some electrical mechanism that
disengages when these knobs are set to clean such that the latch will
slide all the way?

Mark

"O.B." wrote in message
.. .
Christopher Green wrote:
"O.B." wrote in message

[...]

If the oven has a glass window in the door, check the inside of the door to
see if there's a lever for a metal shield that you pull up to cover the
glass area
during the self cleaning operation. Seem to recall similar interlock on a
self cleaning oven I used to have.

O.B.

Mark wrote:
"O.B." wrote in message
.. .

Christopher Green wrote:

"O.B." wrote in message
et...

[...]

There's a glass door but no shield to pull over. It looks like this is
yet another appliance to take apart and find out what's wrong. If
anything, I might just override the latching mechanism such that the
cleaning cycle will begin without the latch being engaged.

Mark

"O.B." wrote in message
. ..
Mark wrote:
"O.B." wrote in message
.. .

Christopher Green wrote:

"O.B." wrote in message
. net...

[...]

One more thought. Does the latch pull out? Had one where the latch pushed
in so it wasn't in the way during normal use but had to be pulled out before
it would slide all the way over. If that doesn't work and you have a model
#, have you checked for an owner's manual on GE's WEB site,
http://www.geappliances.com/geac/own_instl/ ? One other general item they
mentioned was

"If your model has a latch release button, push and hold the latch release
while sliding the oven latch to the clean position.

a.. All Hotpoint and RCA models (except LEB316) have a "hidden latch". To
lock the oven for cleaning, lift up the hinged latch cover located directly
above the range door (under cooktop) and slide the latch to the "Lock"
position. "
Never had that option so not too sure what they're talking about.