Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Once again !

Y'all have certainly heard how nasty it got in our part of the country
night before last with several inches of snow on top of the ice - several
miles of I-40 was a parking lot for 24 hours or more . Once again I took it
upon myself to get Rusty to work making sure we could get out . Imagine my
surprise , when I got up to the end of the driveway someone else has been
clearing the road ! Turns out my new neighbor has a spankin' new Kubota 4WD
tractor , and he's movin' snow with his front loader . So we teamed up , he
pushes a path then I come along behind him and blade the crud off to the
side . The only stretch that has any ice is where the melt ran across the
road between my drive and the intersection where the Little Dirt Road meets
the Big Dirt Road . There is one patch up on the flat that's not totally
clear , I had some fuel supply problems and had to work on the machine -
probably some ice crystals in the fuel , that gas has been in my can for a
couple of months and a lot of temp cycling .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 6 Mar 2015 07:36:58 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Y'all have certainly heard how nasty it got in our part of the country
night before last with several inches of snow on top of the ice - several
miles of I-40 was a parking lot for 24 hours or more .

Yeah, it looked just like HelL.A. on a good morning, only whiter and a
whole lot colder.

Once again I took it
upon myself to get Rusty to work making sure we could get out . Imagine my
surprise , when I got up to the end of the driveway someone else has been
clearing the road ! Turns out my new neighbor has a spankin' new Kubota 4WD
tractor , and he's movin' snow with his front loader . So we teamed up , he
pushes a path then I come along behind him and blade the crud off to the
side . The only stretch that has any ice is where the melt ran across the

Good job, guys!

road between my drive and the intersection where the Little Dirt Road meets
the Big Dirt Road . There is one patch up on the flat that's not totally
clear , I had some fuel supply problems and had to work on the machine -
probably some ice crystals in the fuel , that gas has been in my can for a
couple of months and a lot of temp cycling .

Time for some StaBil?

--
Stain and poly are their own punishment.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

There is one patch up on the flat
that's not totally clear , I had some fuel supply problems and had
to work on the machine - probably some ice crystals in the fuel ,
that gas has been in my can for a couple of months and a lot of temp
cycling .

Time for some StaBil?

I don't think so , this fuel was in a plastic container and I'm thinking
the temperature cycling caused a little condensation . I only use
non-ethanol fuel in my small engines , unless the Conoco station is closed
by the weather it was yesterday , so I only filled one can . It turned out
the carb needed a bit of tweaking , I opened the main jet adjuster screw a
half turn and it's back to runnin' like a top .
I saw the Conoco is open today when I took the wife to work , so all my
cans will be going to town when I pick her up .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Friday, March 6, 2015 at 8:37:04 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
Y'all have certainly heard how nasty it got in our part of the country
night before last with several inches of snow on top of the ice -

--
Snag

We have been lucky in that a lot of the snow either goes North or South of us. Last night was the exception. We got hit.

My wife bought a Toro 2 cycle snow thrower at a garage sale back when it was warm. And I would recommend it. It does not clear a very wide path, so I have to take four passes to clear the driveway. But it is light and easy to push.

Yesterday I cleared the drive way while it was still snowing and ran out of fuel. So today I mixed up some more fuel and went over it again. It is not perfect, but it is as good as the road in front of the house. The driveway is only about 200 yards long, so this works for me. If I had a long drive, I would be looking for something bigger.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
[...]

I bought a used 3HP single-stage to clear close spaces such as around
the car. I found that my home-made roof rake (hoe) is the right tool
to break down deep snow in front of it when clearing paths.

Here in southern NH some places have recorded a total of over 100" of
snow and we were 1/10 degree short of the all-time record for coldest
February. Lets hope this year won't bring another "Marchuary" like
last year.

-jsw