Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Rusty prove it's worth

That's what I call my little JD tractor because , well , it's rusty .
Today it proved it's worth , performing one of the two main tasks I wanted
it for - clearing ice/snow from our road and driveway . After last night's
"ice event" our road was nearly impassable going up and downright dangerous
in spots coming down . One area in particular is steep , tilted , and always
gets very very slippery . Nearly slid the SUV into the ravine coming back
down after a highway check it was clear/wet . I figgered why not try , so
I did . The little feller did an ace job of scraping enough of the ice off
that stretch that the road is now passable and not as dangerous . It helps
that the ice is right at freezing and kinda spongy . Neighbors appreciate
it too ...

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Terry Coombs"
wrote in message That's what I call my little JD
tractor because , well , it's rusty . Today it
proved it's worth , performing one of the two
main tasks I wanted it for - clearing ice/snow
from our road and driveway . After last night's
"ice event" our road was nearly impassable going
up and downright dangerous in spots coming down
. One area in particular is steep , tilted , and
always gets very very slippery . Nearly slid the
SUV into the ravine coming back down after a
highway check it was clear/wet . I figgered
why not try , so I did . The little feller did
an ace job of scraping enough of the ice off
that stretch that the road is now passable and
not as dangerous . It helps that the ice is
right at freezing and kinda spongy . Neighbors
appreciate it too ...

--
Snag

Looks like a good time to post
this story I wrote back in '01.
This happened in the U.P. Mich.

Pretty Boy Ford
It's been a long winter up here and we are all
begining
to show signs of 'shack fever'. We have tried to
use
various hexes, old wives cures, ancient Indian
chants
and impressive church ceremonies all to no avail,
heikki lunta just won't give it up! My old '73
Dodge
plow truck has been the only relief to this misery
even
though it requires various infusions of petroleum
products to keep going, it even had to endure an
electrical operation to maintain functions.
Somehow
it just keeps on doing it's duty faithfully and
without
complaint but had a mean jolt of the future a week
ago when a brand new year 2001 Ford F-250 diesel
club cab w/Boss plow showed up at the Golden Harp
Inn down at the corner! The 'ol Dodge thought this
was the end as this beast was going to take over
it's assigned duty! Oh no, what will become of the
'ol Dodge now? Each day when I went to plow there
it was, practising on the lot in the rear of the
building
and intimidating all who viewed it's performance.
'Ol Dodge was becoming very depressed as it could
not possibly compete with such showmanship!
Deep jealousy set in and the heater seemed colder,
the u-joints seemed looser and the plow rattled
more
loudly than before. (:( I inquired about the
newcomer
and was told it was there only for a week or so
because
it's owner was away on a business trip and didn't
care
to leave it in town as some of it's luster may be
lost
on curious neigbors. Well today it was gone! The
'ol
Dodge leaped on the opportunity to regain some
semblance
of status and eagerly went to the task at hand,
scraping
the lot clear down to the ice underlayment and
easily
pushing 'Pretty Boy Ford's' pile back another 10'
or more!
The lot ended up smooth and flat as the pool table
inside!
Happiness once again prevails for the 'ol Dodge
knowing
that it's assigned duties will not be taken
awayG.
When I parked the 'ol Dodge I patted it on the
hood
and congratulated it on a job well done and I
swear it
rocked a little bit side to side in
acknowledgement! As
I walked away I could hear it's hot exhaust pipes
merrily
ticking away in joy! Just goes to show you that
beauty
is only skin deep and what was properly designed
and
built cannot be replaced by flashy looks!
'Ol Dodge will get some new parts and tlc this
summer
as a reward! 27feb01 pdk

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Phil Kangas wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
That's what I call my little JD
tractor because , well , it's rusty . Today it
proved it's worth

snipped a bit

I walked away I could hear it's hot exhaust pipes
merrily
ticking away in joy! Just goes to show you that
beauty
is only skin deep and what was properly designed
and
built cannot be replaced by flashy looks!
'Ol Dodge will get some new parts and tlc this
summer
as a reward! 27feb01 pdk

Rusty is just a kid , it was made in 1982 . Barely dry behind the ears ...
Ol' Dodge sounds like my kinda truck !

--
Snag