Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does this drill press vise mount to the table?

I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 25-Feb-15 12:26 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon

Apparently "Models 13 and 16 have side grooves for mounting brackets"

http://www.pts-tools.com/cgi/CGP2SRI...e:%20text/html
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tuesday, February 24, 2015 at 8:26:32 PM UTC-8, Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon

Hold it in another vise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 24 Feb 2015 20:26:27 -0800, Jon Danniken
wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

That particular vise DOESNT attach to the table. It simply sits on the
drill and you hold it in place with your hand while drilling.

In fact..very few vises attach to a drill press table as the forces
are downwards..not from the sides...AND given that you are unable to
move the table on a drill press..once a vise is in position for one
diameter...it will be out of place for every other diameter.

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon

It isn't normally attached to a table although it could be clamped
down or used with a magnetic table as on a surface grinder.
I've got one I made as an apprentice, accurate to a tenth any
direction. Nicely engine turned and sat in the top of my tool box and
NEVER used :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim jim is offline

Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

It doesn't need to be attached. You can bolt stops
to the table to prevent the vice from turning/spinning.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out
how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen
have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this
one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon

As others have mentioned (I wasn't going to be first) you hold the
vise in one hand and let it float to center when you drill a punch
mark or open up a pilot hole. It reduces the tendency of small work to
climb when the bit breaks through, or spin and cut your hand.

It doesn't completely prevent either, though, so I drill almost
everything on the mill, using a small vise like that to make tiny
parts more manageable on parallels or against the vise stop.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does this drill press vise mount to the table? (Thanks toall)

On 02/24/2015 08:26 PM, Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Thanks to everyone who replied to my query, I appreciate it!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-25, Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Not sure of the size from the photo. Smaller ones (e.g. about
1-1/2" jaw width) are usually held in larger vises at need.

The larger ones (say about 3" jaw width or so) often have tapped
holes on the bottom of the rails, and there is something which came with
it which looks sort of like an outdoor faucet handle with a shank a few
inches long, and at the top is a shoulder and a washer and a projecting
male thread to match the tapped hole in the vise rails. You stick the
thread through one of the slots in the table, thread into the vise, and
tighten by hand to lock the vise tot he table.

I know that ones from Sears (Craftsman name) were like this,
though they did not have the Palmgern name -- they may still have been
*made* by Palmgern.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

That particular vise DOESNT attach to the table. It simply sits on the
drill and you hold it in place with your hand while drilling.

Not when you are drilling into brass, and don't have a "dubbed"
drill bit to prevent breakthroug grabbing. Having the vise spinning
around frantically near the hand which was holding it is rather exciting,
in an undesirable way. :-)

In fact..very few vises attach to a drill press table as the forces
are downwards..not from the sides...AND given that you are unable to
move the table on a drill press..once a vise is in position for one
diameter...it will be out of place for every other diameter.

I have a number which do attach to the table -- making use of
the ability to swivel the table support arm around the column, and
(cheap Taiwanese drill press from the 1970s) loosening a clamp to allow
the table to rotate around its center. Very useful in getting a
potential hole location under the bit. :-)

And -- there were (and probably still are) X-Y tables sold to go
between the table and the vise on a drill press. (Some think of using
them for milling, but they are not rigid enough for that -- as though
the drill press were. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Drill Press Table Ralph Woodworking 8 December 20th 10 10:59 PM
Cross Slide Vise on drill press for LIGHT milling [email protected] Metalworking 7 December 12th 07 10:33 PM
Drill Press Table asmurff Woodworking Plans and Photos 0 August 29th 07 07:24 PM
drill press vise SteveB Metalworking 3 May 29th 05 11:33 PM
Drill Press Vise Alex Metalworking 8 May 13th 05 05:04 PM