Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does this drill press vise mount to the table?

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out
how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen
have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this
one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Jon

As others have mentioned (I wasn't going to be first) you hold the
vise in one hand and let it float to center when you drill a punch
mark or open up a pilot hole. It reduces the tendency of small work to
climb when the bit breaks through, or spin and cut your hand.

It doesn't completely prevent either, though, so I drill almost
everything on the mill, using a small vise like that to make tiny
parts more manageable on parallels or against the vise stop.