Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default How does this drill press vise mount to the table?

On 2015-02-25, Jon Danniken wrote:
I came across this vise (a palmgren), and I'm trying to figure out how
it attaches to the drill press table. Most press vises I have seen have
lugs of some sort to bolt to the table, but I can't see any on this one.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41R9WRX8XCL.jpg

I'm sure someone here has come across a vise like this, how is it
attached to the table?

Not sure of the size from the photo. Smaller ones (e.g. about
1-1/2" jaw width) are usually held in larger vises at need.

The larger ones (say about 3" jaw width or so) often have tapped
holes on the bottom of the rails, and there is something which came with
it which looks sort of like an outdoor faucet handle with a shank a few
inches long, and at the top is a shoulder and a washer and a projecting
male thread to match the tapped hole in the vise rails. You stick the
thread through one of the slots in the table, thread into the vise, and
tighten by hand to lock the vise tot he table.

I know that ones from Sears (Craftsman name) were like this,
though they did not have the Palmgern name -- they may still have been
*made* by Palmgern.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--