Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Made this T-slot table today

On Saturday, February 21, 2015 at 8:58:47 PM UTC-5, Howard Beal wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:50:56 -0600, Ignoramus10075

On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:36:14 -0600, Ignoramus10075
On 2015-02-21, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Sat, 21 Feb 2015 16:07:53 -0600, Ignoramus10075
By the way, the table top pictured he
http://igor.chudov.com/tmp/T-Slot-Table.jpg
came from this machine:
http://goo.gl/YTgaMB

Aha. That's a Micromatic horizontal line-honing machine for crankshaft
bores. I don't know if that model is still made, but I'll bet it is.
Bates bought out the Textron Micromatic line around ten years ago.

My own opinion regarding this machine is that finding a buyer for it
as a whole, will be exceedingly difficult. They could not sell it on
ebay (361005815063).

It's going to be a very small market. That model is pretty big -- not
automotive, but probably truck- and off-road diesels. Those guys don't
buy much used equipment. My guess is that it would be confined to
engine rebuilders who work on the big ones.

I agree on "all of the above" of what you said.

It came from Caterpillar.

For big guys like this, spending $500,000 on a new machine is better
than spending $5,000 on a used machine, they do not even think about
it.

It is, however, full of cool and valuable parts and weighs about
18,000 lbs. (and not 12,000 lbs as they said)

Yow. I don't like to even *think* about moving things that heavy. My
house probably doesn't weigh that much. g

18,000 lbs is not a big deal for me any more.

The biggest machine I lifted recently was a 34,000 lbs Bullard VTL
(lightened up some down to this weight). I also scrapped a machine 2
years ago that weighed 100,000 lbs, but I did so by parts, I only had
a 15,000 forklift at the time.

You've come a long way, Ig. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Indeed, Ig has become a job creator on a multitude of
levels. IMHO we need more small business, they contribute more
to local ecconomies than mulit-nationals and thier not to big
to fail.

I still think it depends in large part upon fortune 500 style investment (you know; for more of a fail-safe aspect).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On 2015-02-21, Ed Huntress wrote:
[...]

Net job gains don't vary much by the size of the firm, in terms of
number employed and the totals for each company-size category:

http://www.bls.gov/news.release/cewbd.t04.htm

However, Tom ("Howard") was commenting on the effect on local
economies. That's a different thing, and I suspect he's quite right.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-02-22, Ed Huntress wrote:

However, Tom ("Howard") was commenting on the effect on local
economies. That's a different thing, and I suspect he's quite right.

I think that, more or less any regular economic activity contributes
to general happiness, job creation, and such.