Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Power feeds , yet again

I have decided to go with what I have on hand , which is a couple of 12v
wiper motors and one HF 18v drill motor . I just ordered another gear cutter
, I'll be able to do stacked reduction gears in a fairly small package now .
These will be 20dp gears , the same as those inside the QC box on my lathe .
Should be robust enough for this .
With PWM motor speed control plus direction control , I can set one
reduction ratio that will be a compromise - mostly on high speed end - that
gives a uniform speed for a decent finish . Which is a lot of what this is
about . I just can't crank precisely enough to do some of the things this
mill is otherwise capable of . Using the boring head or face mill are
perfect examples . A uniform finish is dependent on uniform feed rates .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Terry Coombs prodded the keyboard

I have decided to go with what I have on hand , which is a couple
of 12v
wiper motors and one HF 18v drill motor . I just ordered another
gear cutter , I'll be able to do stacked reduction gears in a fairly
small package now . These will be 20dp gears , the same as those
inside the QC box on my lathe . Should be robust enough for this .
With PWM motor speed control plus direction control , I can set
one
reduction ratio that will be a compromise - mostly on high speed end
- that gives a uniform speed for a decent finish . Which is a lot of
what this is about . I just can't crank precisely enough to do some
of the things this mill is otherwise capable of . Using the boring
head or face mill are perfect examples . A uniform finish is
dependent on uniform feed rates . --
Snag

Did you have a look at the link I posted ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:
[...]

I'm registered in enough forums , is there a link that doesn't make me do
that ? I've gotten fairly good at cutting gears , I can a lot of reduction
in a prett small space by copying Logan Lathe's stacked reduction gears like
they used in the left side og their QC gearboxes .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:
[...]

Is your mail ad ok ?

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:
[...]

Yup , it's a spam trap but it's good . I check it usually every week or so .
If I know something is coming , I'll check it more often .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:
[...]

Fine, try this link:-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:

Fine, try this link:-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130

Nice ! Made me go out and look at the wiper motors I have . Got one old
one that's reversible , but I'm not sure how it's wired , has a good worm
set in it . It has one black going to the field coils , a red and a green ,
one to each of the two brushes . The other is a sealed motor , newer and
only 2 wires - looks to be a PM motor . I can't remember if this is the that
one has a stripped gear on the worm , that might have been the one with the
fried commutator that I tossed .
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Feb 2015 19:04:40 -0600, "Terry Coombs"
wrote:

Baron wrote:

Fine, try this link:-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130

Nice ! Made me go out and look at the wiper motors I have . Got one old
one that's reversible , but I'm not sure how it's wired , has a good worm

That's likely a window motor rather than a wiper motor, Terry. It
should work well!

set in it . It has one black going to the field coils , a red and a green ,
one to each of the two brushes . The other is a sealed motor , newer and
only 2 wires - looks to be a PM motor . I can't remember if this is the that
one has a stripped gear on the worm , that might have been the one with the
fried commutator that I tossed .

Grab the output shaft with a pair of channellocks and energize. You'll
know in a hurry if it's bad. g

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Baron wrote:

Fine, try this link:-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130

Nice ! Made me go out and look at the wiper motors I have . Got one
old one that's reversible , but I'm not sure how it's wired , has a
good worm

That's likely a window motor rather than a wiper motor, Terry. It
should work well!

set in it . It has one black going to the field coils , a red and a
green , one to each of the two brushes . The other is a sealed motor
, newer and only 2 wires - looks to be a PM motor . I can't remember
if this is the that one has a stripped gear on the worm , that might
have been the one with the fried commutator that I tossed .

Grab the output shaft with a pair of channellocks and energize. You'll
know in a hurry if it's bad. g

No , it's definitely a wiper motor , still had the arms to drive the wipers
and the park switch in the assembly when I got it . I just can't remember
how it was wired , or why I disassembled the motor part . That might have
been because I was trying to figure out the wiring .

--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Baron wrote:

[...]

Maybe the extra wire was the hot park lead? I've never seen a
reversing wiper motor, but older motors had discrete windings for
extra speeds. Clare, you?

--
Shake off all the fears of servile prejudices, under which weak minds
are servilely crouched. Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call on her
tribunal for every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the
existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of
the homage of reason than that of blindfolded fear.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Baron wrote:

[...]

Some multi-wire wiper motors are multi-speed, and some GM wipers
reversed to park (hide-away wipers) Have not seen a wound field wiper
motor in several decades. Virtually all have been permag since the
late sixties?? The English stayed with wound field wiper mnotors
longer than just about anyone else -LUCAS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Baron wrote:

[...]

Hideaway wipers on seventies era GMs reversed to tuck the wipers in
under the trailing edge of the hood. Any Permag motor with an isolated
ground can be reversed. Actually ANY permag motor can be reversed by
simply reversing the polarity - positive ground runs backwards from
negative ground. In some applications that is do-able, in others not.

I forgot about the 2 speed GM motors - they had wound feilds up until
1980-ish - power was fed to the motor all the time and the switch
grounded the motor - it had series and parallel feilds and a built in
20 ohm resistor. One part of the switch grounded the park/run relay
wich fed power to the armature and shunt feild through the series
feild. On high speed the shunt feild was grounded through the feild
weakening resistor, and on low speed the resistor was shorted out,
full feilding the shunt, causing the motor to run slower with
increased torque.

On the more common multispeed permanent magnet motors a shifted brush
is often used for the second speed. You have your "common" or live
brush, one 180 degrees from it, and one about 120 degrees off-set. for
a 2 speed motor.. Not sure if anyone makes a 4 brush 3 speed PM motor
or not.

Resistors are still used for speed control on some PM motors and I
would be surprised if electronic speed controllers are not in common
use today. I don't work on cars everyday any more so not sure what
"state of the art" is today.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Baron wrote:

Fine, try this link:-
http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/showthread.php?t=23130

Nice ! Made me go out and look at the wiper motors I have . Got
one old
one that's reversible , but I'm not sure how it's wired , has a good
worm set in it . It has one black going to the field coils , a red
and a green , one to each of the two brushes . The other is a sealed
motor , newer and only 2 wires - looks to be a PM motor . I can't
remember if this is the that one has a stripped gear on the worm ,
that might have been the one with the fried commutator that I tossed
. --
Snag

Hi Terry,
If you go through the post that I pointed you at, you will see that I
opened the gearbox and stripped off all the switching leaving just
three wires. On a second version that I did there were only two
wires because the motor case was the ground connection. One wire
gave a higher speed than the other.

I currently use a variable voltage PSU to feed the motor and find that
with the gears that I used 30 volts will give me a fast traverse. I
find that normal cutting tends to be done with 5 to 10 volts across
the motor. This is with the high speed winding. The motor takes
supprisingly little current, less than 2 amps.

HTH.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.