F. George McDuffee

Default goat glands [adding power cross/down feeds]

Goat Glands -- [for fuller explanation of title see
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/brinkley.html ]

Actually adding power cross feed to an EMCO v-10 lathe and/or
power down feed to the mill attachment.

We are attempting to upgrade our college machine shop without
spending any money. I and the students are putting some money in
the pot, and are considering improving our EMCO v10 lathes
[See http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page4.html for description]
by adding power cross feed and/or to add power z-axis feed to
the milling attachment. This will be one of our [most likely
the] major fall class projects involving both design and
manufacture.

We have located what appear to be suitable motors for 20$ each at
surpluscenter.com see
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...&item= 5-1106
Alternative is a 12 RPM airpax [which seems a little light/weak]
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.as...-1435&catname=

We can scrounge the DPDT and SPST switches, fuse holders, power
cables, bracket metal, etc. and it appears that locally available
door bell transformers can be used for the required 10VAC control
voltage. [OSHA would have a fit...] (I can see using a seperate 6
volt xformer to slow things down)

The 25-RPM motors will produce 2.5 IPM feed if directly
connected.

My question to the group, has anyone done this with an EMCO V10
or equivalent lathe and with what results? Anything you would do
different? Would you do it again?

Thanks for your help.

F. George McDuffee

my bad -- not a V-10 but a compact 10
see http://www.lathes.co.uk/emco/page8.html
for the "real thing"

We are also machining a complete set of change gears.

GmcD

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:53:52 -0700, F. George McDuffee
wrote:

Goat Glands -- [for fuller explanation of title see
http://www.quackwatch.org/11Ind/brinkley.html ]

snip
Richard J Kinch

F. George McDuffee writes:

We have located what appear to be suitable motors for 20$ each ...

These are pretty small motors. Have you analyzed torque requirements? How
will you align the shafts?

Workshop In An Alternate Homepower Environment Too_Many_Tools Woodworking 276 June 29th 05 01:24 AM
Power Supply Repair fernando1222 Electronics Repair 0 June 7th 05 09:18 PM
PC power related questions [email protected] Electronics Repair 1 May 20th 05 11:28 PM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 01:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 05:24 PM