Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Have you shaper heads seen this yet?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Probably-The...-/131407279802

This IS the nicest shaper of this size Ive ever seen. It appears to be
NOS and I inspected it very very closely. It had been tucked away
for many many years in perfect storage conditions and it looks like it
came right from the manufacturer.

Gunner

PJ O'Rourke
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex Rex is offline

On Tuesday, January 20, 2015 at 10:59:20 AM UTC-6, Gunner Asch wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Probably-The...-/131407279802

This IS the nicest shaper of this size Ive ever seen. It appears to be
NOS and I inspected it very very closely. It had been tucked away
for many many years in perfect storage conditions and it looks like it
came right from the manufacturer.

Gunner

If it were closer I'd buy it for that. I just sold a spare Atlas for $800 with vise
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2015-01-20, Gunner Asch wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Probably-The...-/131407279802

This IS the nicest shaper of this size Ive ever seen. It appears to be
NOS and I inspected it very very closely. It had been tucked away
for many many years in perfect storage conditions and it looks like it
came right from the manufacturer.

The only thing which I don't see is the crank style wrench which
should come with the vise.

And the comment in the auction about the switch box and board on
which the machine is mounted -- mine (Rockwell/Delta nameplate) has a
cabinet under it with two wheels which contact the floor when you lift the
other end with a folding handle. This is shown in the Rockwell/Delta
manual, but I'm not sure that it was also part of one made during the
AMMCO days.

I had to go check whether there was a hole in the top of the
cabinet for the jackscrew to pass through. There is not, so that need
not be worried about.

One Difference between the AMMCO and the later Rockwell/Delta
ones is that the AMMCO has only one oil cup on each side of the ram's
ways, while the later ones have three -- making for better oil
distribution with short strokes. Of course, such cups could be added to
this one, if one were not intent on keeping it as original.

I've got most of the accessories shown except for the index head
and table -- but I had to find them on eBay or other places over time.
And my vise does not have the square shank for the crank wrench, but
rather a transerse lever with balls on each end. I keep planning to
make a new screw for it which does things the right way.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21 Jan 2015 03:38:29 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
The only thing which I don't see is the crank style wrench which
should come with the vise.

/snip

I was missing a handle also when I got my Atlas 7B a few
years ago.

Got what looked like the same item from Reid which may have
been made on the original tooling
http://www.essentracomponents.com/pr...-35AL/10003542

They also have these with the square hole broached, but the
price is breathtaking
http://www.essentracomponents.com/pr.../fl/4294900655

--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
silver is the money of gentlemen,
barter is the money of peasants,
but debt is the money of slaves"

-Norm Franz, "Money and Wealth in the New Millenium"