Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stray voltages. This was rather alarming.

fOn 11/14/2014 12:39 PM, David Farber wrote:
http://www.today.com/video/today/56422860#56416055

"The term stray voltage describes a special case of voltage developed on the grounded-neutral system of a farm and is defined as 10 volts (measured as the root-mean-square value of 50 or 60 Hz alternating voltage, Vrms) between two points that can be contacted simultaneously by an animal (animal contact voltage). The grounding and neutral systems on a farm or in a home wiring system should be properly bonded to ensure electrical safety. As a result, some level of voltage between the grounded-neutral system and the earth (neutral-to-earth voltage) [NEV] is always present as a normal consequence of the operation of properly installed electrical equipment. The term stray voltage is often applied incorrectly to other electrical phenomena such as electric fields, magnetic fields, electric current flowing in the earth (earth currents), or electric current flowing on a grounding conductor (ground currents). Electric currents flowing in the earth or on grounded metal objects will affect animals only if sufficient animal contact voltage is developed."

-- http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/mana...l_housing.html

-------------------
Many utilities disclaim responsibility in the US and Canada ...

by OE Board - 2008
May 30, 2008 - Farm Stray Voltage: Issues and Regulatory Options. May 2008 ....... distributor is not responsible for variations in voltage from external forces

-- http://www.ontarioenergyboard.ca/oeb...r_20080530.pdf
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sunday, January 18, 2015 at 1:03:28 AM UTC-5, wrote in sci.electronics.repair:

I just dropped by to mention something since the thread is still kinda alive.

Yeah, I don't have much to do these days. Maybe play "Star Trek Online", I don't know.

Don't think just going home will save you from electrical shock. there

Work, either.

are so many people who doi wiring in houses who don't know WTF they're
doing that I would GUESS that the chance of getting electrocuted at
home is still more likely than out on the street. I did a bunch of
remodeling over the years and have seen the nightmares.

I haven't done much of actual rough in, finishing, connection or disconnect. Just mostly bull crud, I guess. I still try to keep up. But, its mostly talk for me. Video games, etc. Just jive, mostly. Nothing serious (believe me).

I know hat I am doing and got my bona fides frome the toughest
electrical inspector in the area, dubbed "Ivan The Terrible".
COntractors feared him but he didn't bother me.

Then again, I guess maybe they'd all say that when it came down to it.

Thing is, these stray voltages, they can be more of an indication
of the infrastructure getting old.

Well, yeah. That's one thing I posted about. It (whatever happened) may not "technically" have been called a "stray voltage".

They WERE instaled according to code. Designed to last how many
years ? Maybe they have lasted all those years by now. Like an
old car. If you got a 1967 Chevy that needs its first new set of
ball joints, you got nothing to bitch about to Chevy.

Yeah, ultimately that's car mechanics stuff though, not us electricians' (helper at least for me).

In the Cleveland case I mentioned I suspect someting might have
been done wrong and they might have been culpable.

Decided by negotiations of their and the opposing side's and other side's lawyers - probably just a three minute phone call. (It would surprise you).

Like I said, instead of news after that happened we got all kinds
of commercials form the power company on the TV.

Yeah, strangely a bunch of "new" warnings, but no financial settlements. Strange for us peons, huh? Then again, I guess not. Then again, distribution isn't in this for free. Power companies are still in it for the buck.